The Semlow lab at Caltech is seeking a Research Technician to support investigations into the mechanisms of DNA repair. The successful candidate will report directly to Professor Semlow and coordinate laboratory operations. Opportunities for independent research are available to highly motivated and qualified candidates. The position is for two years with the possibility of extension.
- Order, unpack, and organize lab supplies, reagents, and consumables.
- Prepare basic laboratory reagents such as buffers and culture media.
- Participate in organization and care of Xenopus laevis frog colony.
- Perform hormone injections on Xenopus.
- Ensure compliance with biosafety and animal use protocols.
- Maintain laboratory databases.
- Coordinate routine maintenance and repair of laboratory equipment.
- Perform PCR based assays to test for mycoplasma contamination of cell lines.
- Validate antibodies by western blotting.
- Perform routine molecular biology techniques such as plasmid purification, molecular cloning, protein purification, and cell culture.
- Assist in the analysis and interpretation of experimental results.
- Participate in scientific discussions during weekly group meetings.
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Chemistry, or related field.
- Previous laboratory experience in molecular biology, biochemistry, or cell biology.