Senior Lecturer: Small Animal Surgery
FACULTY OF VETERINARY SCIENCE
DEPARTMENT OF COMPANION ANIMAL CLINICAL STUDIES
SENIOR LECTURER – SMALL ANIMAL SURGERY (ONE POST)
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The successful candidate will actively participate in the following areas:
- Teaching and practical training of undergraduate and postgraduate veterinary and veterinary nursing students in Small Animal Surgery
- Clinical service in the Onderstepoort Veterinary Academic Hospital, surrounding community and satellite clinics, including participation in a 24-hour service;
- Postgraduate training and supervision where appropriate;
- Research and publication in scientific journals;
- Networking with relevant industry stakeholders;
- Community engagement;
- Administrative and other duties as delegated by the Head of Department; and
- Academic self-development.
- A BVSc- or BVMCh-degree or equivalent professional veterinary qualification;
- An appropriate MMedVet-degree and/or equivalent specialty board certification;
- Registration with the SAVC as a specialist in the relevant field or eligibility for registration within a reasonable period;
- Four years’ veterinary experience with three years’ experience in predominantly Small Animal Surgery; and
- At least one full peer reviewed paper in ISI accredited scientific journals as first or senior author.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Proven knowledge and competence in Small Animal Surgery
- Research interest appropriate to the position;
- Candidates without a PhD: Commitment to obtain a PHD in reasonable time;
- Good language and communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills;and
- Generic teaching competence including proficiency with presentation, word-processing and spreadsheet software.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Experience with relevant specialised procedures, techniques and tools, e.g. software;
- Tertiary teaching and mentoring experience; and
- Exposure to research in an appropriate field.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za, and follow the link: Careers@UP.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact;
- Names and contact details of peer reviewers (academic and research);
- Self-evaluation which must address each of the numbered minimum requirements and required competencies above. Applications that do not include these in the evaluation may be rejected.
CLOSING DATE: 7 April 2020
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Ms MB Nyathela, Tel: (012) 529-8541
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 7 July 2020, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.