Scientific Research Assistant
Organizing and executing analytical work central to examining the isotopic contents and structures of n-alkanes from natural gases; data processing and interpretation; preparation of scientific report and lead authorship of peer-reviewed scientific publications derived from this work. Analytical work will be performed in the laboratories for stable isotope geochemistry. This position is a 6 month term.
- Receipt, organization, and archiving of gas samples.
- Chemical purification of n-alkanes from gas samples.
- High resolution mass spectrometric analysis of n-alkanes.
- Processing and interpretation of mass spectrometric data.
- Review of current literature relevant to the study of the stable isotope geochemistry of natural gases.
- Preparation of written and oral reports of results.
- Preparation of peer reviewed publications based on results.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ph.D. in geochemistry or related field and at least 2 years of relevant postdoctoral research training.
- At least 2 years of experience with clumped and site-specific isotopic analysis of n-alkanes.
- Knowledge of the geology and geochemistry of natural gas accumulations, and of the stable isotope geochemistry of organic compounds.
- Skilled at operating high-resolution isotope ratio mass spectrometers, including the Thermo Fisher Ultra.