Research Associate in Mechanical Engineering
7 days left
- Full Time
Organization Name Civil Infrastructure and Environmental Engineering/Mechanical Engineering
The newly-established Khalifa University of Science and Technology combines The Masdar Institute of Science and Technology, Khalifa University of Science, Technology and Research and The Petroleum Institute into one world-class, research-intensive institution, seamlessly integrating research and education to produce world leaders and critical thinkers in applied science and engineering. Khalifa University of Science and Technology endeavors to be a leader among research intensive universities of the 21st century, while catalyzing the growth of Abu Dhabi and the UAE’s rapidly developing knowledge economy.
Osteoporosis is askeletal disease mainly caused by the reduction of bone mineral density (BMD)and micro-architectural degeneration of bone quality. Conventional X-ray basedtechniques (e.g., DXA) allow measuring reductions of BMD in fracture-pronesites, but these measurements can only detect reductions of bone strength in60-75% of patients, resulting in possible misdiagnosis of osteoporosis.
- To overcome these drawbacks, the research team, consisting of faculty in Civil Engineering and Mechanical Engineering at KUST, plans to develop a novel diagnostic scheme for non-invasive and accurate assessment of osteoporosis via direct measurement of bone mechanical properties using a recently developed granular crystal sensor. The goals of this research will be achieved by a succession of computational and experimental tasks, namely (i) computational reconstruction of bone microstructure of selected sites on the proximal femur through topology optimization from low-resolution clinical images, (ii) 3D-printing of micro-structured bone samples, (iii) non-destructive measurement of elastic stiffness of the 3D-printed samples using a granular crystal sensor.
- The research activities will be performed at KUST in collaboration with faculty at Korean Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST). The Department of Civil Infrastructure and Environmental Engineering invites applicants for an open position of a research associate (with MSc) or a research assistant (with BSc) who can perform experiments and a finite element analysis (ABAQUS) on a solitary wave interaction with 3D printed bone samples.
- Develop a novel portable device for site-specific bone quality assessment and in-vivo diagnosis of osteoporosis.
- 3D printing of bone samples.
- Perform experiments on 3D-printed bone samples using the developed device.
- Perform a finite element analysis using commercial software (ABAQUS).
- Analyze the obtained experimental and numerical data.
- Prepare reports, papers and technical presentations.
- MSc degree in Mechanical Engineering or a closely related discipline such as Materials Engineering, Structural Engineering, or Biomechanical Engineering.
- The successful applicant should be strongly motivated, have the capability to work independently as well as in collaboration with members of the research group in KUST.
- A superior academic performance and publication record.
- The position will also require independent work in addition to collaborative skills and creative thinking. In addition, good oral and written communication skills in English are required.
- Good background in mechanics of materials, mathematics and dynamical systems.
- Finite-element analysis
- Mechanical testing of materials
- High performance computing (desired but not indispensable)
- 3D printing (desired but not indispensable)
How To Apply
Note: You will be required to attach the following:
- Passport-size photograph
- Teaching and Research Statement
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (RecruitmentTeam@ku.ac.ae).
Apply for Research Associate in Mechanical Engineering
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly