Research Grants Specialist
Hamad Bin Khalifa University (HBKU), a member of Qatar Foundation for Education, Science, and Community Development (QF), was founded in 2010 to continue fulfilling QF’s vision of unlocking human potential. HBKU is an emerging research university that acts as a catalyst for positive change in Qatar and the region while having a global impact.
To facilitate the Qatar Biomedical Research Institute (QBRI) internal research grant activities and coordinate with the HBKU research office.
Key Result Areas:
- Coordinate all grants related matters with the QBRI operation’s office, HBKU research office and funding agencies, to ensure adherence to budget, schedule and scope.
- Facilitate the process of account set-up for internal grants in collaboration with QBRI Research Financial Manager and QF finance.
- Ensure that project expenses are charged correctly to the right account by coordinating with QBRI finance and operations teams.
- Suggest appropriate methods for budget administration, to ensure timely and accurate invoicing, as well as monitor deliverables for project.
- Ensure proper closure process for completed projects by verifying deliverables and closing the accounts.
- Establish effective communication channels with all project teams and stakeholders.
- Preparation of a variety of reports covering the grant budget status and forecast.
- Ensure that all grants and related contracts are well administered and implemented in accordance to the relevant funding agency, and QBRI and HBKU regulations, procedures, and requirements.
- Handling the grant submission process, from application materials and budget assistance to final review, institutional endorsement and submission of proposals to the funding agencies.
- Analyze and review grant requests for viability, appropriateness and effectiveness.
- Work to streamline and maintain a single accurate institutional database of grants and contracts.
- Identify and disseminate details of grant opportunities and funding schemes and serve as an institutional resource on attractive funding opportunities nationally and internationally.
- Contribute to grant audit review activities and ensure timely closure of audit recommendations.
- Review and process research agreements and contracts to ensure alignment with QBRI and HBKU policies and Qatar’s regulations.
- Provide timely, accurate reporting to QBRI’s Executive Director on grants’ performance and related activities.
- Identify and recommend new ways for improvement.
- Other reasonable tasks as assigned.
Operating Environment, Framework & Boundaries:
Work is performed in a standard office environment. Must follow all relevant QBRI, QF/HBKU policies and procedures, and all regulatory practice requirements and protocols.
Communications and Working Relationships:
- Supervisor: frequent contact for guidance, approvals and updates
- Project teams, principal investigators and researchers: frequent contact for grant submission process, and to follow-up on operational requirements, status updates, approvals and feedback
- QBRI operations (Procurement, HR): frequent contact for grant processing related requests
- HBKU Research Office: frequent contact to coordinate all matters related to external grants
Problem Solving & Complexity:
- Evaluates different options when solving problems
- Refrains from jumping to conclusions in the absence of clear evidence, and takes time to collect facts before developing a solution
- Considers the medium term as well as immediate short-term impact of outcomes and actions
- Demonstrates an awareness of the impact of preferred solution on other projects/ related problems
Decision Making Authority & Responsibility:
- Accepts responsibility/accountability for own decisions and explains the rationale
- Reviews available information in conjunction with interested parties and arrives at decisions by consensus judging degree of consultation needed to ensure commitment
- Remains calm and resourceful when making difficult decisions, basing them on facts
- Ensures decisions are taken by self and the group after reviewing available information, whilst exhibiting reasonable foresight
Minimum Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in science or health related management
- 2- 5 years of experience in research grants management
- Strong background in science and knowledge of research practices and biomedical operations
- Sufficient knowledge and thorough working experience of budgeting and finance including reporting and presentations
- Excellent communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent writing skills with the ability to draft and edit a variety of written reports and documents and to articulate ideas clearly and concisely
- Arabic proficiency is an advantage
- Proficiency in MS Office applications
How to Apply:
Please submit your completed application (CV, cover letter and the names of three references with their full contact information) via the following link: Click here to apply
Review of applications is expected to begin soon and continue until the position is filled. Shortlist will be called for interviews.
HBKU offers an attractive compensation package that includes a tax-free salary and additional benefits such as an education allowance, furnished accommodation, annual paid leave, air tickets and medical insurance.
HBKU, as an equal opportunity educator and employer, is committed to maintaining culturally and academically diverse staff of the highest caliber.