Postdoctoral Research Associate in Chemical and Synthetic Biology
- Opportunity to participate in an exciting research projectconducting a range of protein engineering experiments
- Join the School of Chemistry here at the University of Sydney – one of Australia’s leading centres for chemical research and education, located on the main Camperdown Campus
- Full-time Level A, 2year fixed term with a base salary of $91K – 101K p.a., plus leave loading and a generous employer’s contribution to superannuation
About the opportunity
Reporting to Dr Yu Heng Lau, the Postdoctoral Research Associate will be a project leader in the group, conducting a range of protein engineering experiments on encapsulin nano-compartments as synthetic organelles for (bio)catalytic applications (see Nat. Commun. 2018, 9, 1311).
You will be expected to present research findings at international conferences and prepare papers for publication in refereed journals. As a senior member of the research group, you will also be expected to help with the day-to-day supervision of graduate research students, including administrative tasks relating to project organisation, safety matters and general lab management.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a Postdoctoral Research Associate who possesses experience in the following areas:
- a PhD (or near completion) in chemical biology/chemistry/biochemistry/biomolecular engineering/synthetic biology, or a closely-related discipline
- recombinant protein expression and purification
- designing and cloning new protein constructs
- research record keeping and regularly disseminating research findings at group meetings and conferences
- writing up results for publications as sole author or in collaboration
The School of Chemistry is one of the main centres for chemical research and education in Australia. We attract an outstanding cohort of undergraduate students as well as postgraduate research students to this vibrant and world class research environment.
The University of Sydney is Australia's premier University with an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence and employs over 7500 permanent staff supporting over 49,000 students.
Since our inception 160 years ago, the University of Sydney has led to improve the world around us. We believe in education for all and that effective leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion and underpin our long-term strategy for growth. We’re Australia's first university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across our campuses, we employ over 8,100 academic and non-academic staff who support over 73,000 students.
We are undergoing significant transformative change which brings opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention, challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.
For more information on Dr Yu Heng Lau, clickhere or visit the Lau Group website.
How to apply
For more information on the position and University, please view the position description available from the job’s listing on the University of Sydney careers website.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number 541/0320F to apply.
Closing date: 11:30pm, Monday 13 April 2020
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.