Lecturer in Construction Management
Lecturer in Construction Management
School of Engineering and the Built Environment
Location: Birmingham, England
Salary: £37,505 to £40,766 per annum
Closing Date: Tuesday 31 March 2020
Interview Date: To be confirmed
Located in a modern £300m campus in the heart of Birmingham, at the City Centre Campus, the School of Engineering and the Built Environment is a thriving, vibrant, and inspiring learning community committed to excellence in research, high quality teaching and impactful industrial engagement. Building on continuous success in the growth in our academic portfolio alongside our sustained advancement in research activity, the School continues to be ambitious in its strategic vision and seeks talented individuals to join our team.
We invite applications to join our team in a dynamic, multidisciplinary environment. The role will involve the digital delivery across our Built Environment courses particularly related to construction resource planning and management, site management, work planning and scheduling, innovative construction management practices, sustainable construction and construction technology. You will join a strong school wide team delivering successful, professionally accredited, undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in the Built Environment utilising well-equipped purpose built facilities.
We are a practice-based school, our undergraduate programmes are delivered using the CDIO (Conceive, Design, Implement and Operate) framework, making our teaching and research relevant to the evolving world around us. We work in a collaborative and cross disciplinary culture where interacting freely across the school and with colleagues in other schools is encouraged to gain a unique insight into impactful problem domains.
We seek an individual capable of teaching and undertaking research aligned to the research activities of the school that cut across engineering and the built environment.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide an excellent student experience.
- Act in accord with the University’s strategy, policy and procedures.
- Use appropriate learning, teaching, support and assessment methods.
- Set and mark assessments and provide constructive feedback and feedforward.
- Assist in the supervision of student projects at undergraduate and postgraduate level.
- Conduct high quality research leading to publications in leading academic journals, and develop bids and partnerships for research funding.
- Contribute to the design and development of high quality, up-to-date Built Environment courses.
- Contribute to the administration and development of the course provision within the School.
- Participate in outreach activities to aid in recruitment.
- Engage in reflective practice as a method for identifying inhibitors and facilitators to performance.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Recent industry or equivalent academic experience
- Subject knowledge, skill, and expertise in any area of Construction Management, such as construction resource planning and management, site management, work planning and scheduling, innovative construction management practices, sustainable construction and construction technology
- Competent in using software in planning and management of the design, construction and operation of assets
- Eligible for / and are a member of the appropriate Professional body.
- Excellent presentation and teaching skills, as demonstrated by Higher Education teaching experience or regular presentations to industry
- Excellent team working and communication skills
- A good first degree and PhD in the subject field
- Potential to build a track record of publishing in high quality refereed journals
- Track record of successful networking and community management.
- Interest in cross disciplinary collaboration.
- Ability to attract research funding and partnering across areas of practice
With around 24,000 students from 80 countries, Birmingham City University is a large and diverse place to study. We put students at the heart of everything we do, giving them the best opportunities for future success. The University has an enviable reputation for providing quality, student-focused education in a professional and friendly environment. Our superb courses, state-of-the-art facilities, first-rate staff, and focus on practical skills and professional relevance is producing some of the country’s most employable graduates.
We put £270 million into the regional economy and support thousands of jobs in the area. We're investing £260 million in our estate, including a major expansion of our city centre campus at Eastside, providing students with an enviable range of facilities. The Complete University Guide ranked us as a top 30 UK university for spending on facilities in 2015.
Our staff and student community is defined by our core values, which outline who we are as a University and how we will work with each other. Our core values are Excellence, People focused, Partnership working and Fairness and integrity.
For an informal discussion of the post, please contact Mark Shelbourn on +44 7599 500478.
To apply for this role, complete the online application and upload a copy of your CV. Candidates are advised to remove personal information, including names to ensure a fair and transparent recruitment process.
Closing date for advert and applications is 31 March 2020
Applications from job seekers who require Tier 2 sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, non-EEA candidates may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled EU/EEA candidate is available to take up the post as the employing body is unlikely, in these circumstances, to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test. The UK Visas and Immigration department requires employers to complete this test to show that no suitably qualified EEA or EU worker can fill the post. For further information please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website.
Birmingham City University are an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
Birmingham City University ('BCU') is committed to protecting your personal data and being transparent about what we do with your personal data. One of the ways we do this is through our privacy notices. For further information please click here.