Research Specialist I
Category Research and Laboratory
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Name of Lab Higgins Lab
The Princeton University Department of Geosciences seeks to hire a full time Research Specialist for the isotope geochemistry laboratory of Professor John Higgins.
This is a one year term position, with the possibility of renewal based on performance and available funding.
- Assessing and maintaining equipment: performing minor maintenance on the mass spectrometers and managing major maintenance activities with contracted technicians;
- Sample processing and analysis;
- Maintaining lab operations on a daily, weekly and monthly basis;
- Monitoring and assessing consumables inventory and ordering supplies as needed;
- Training and supervising all lab users, including postdocs, visitors, graduate students and undergraduates, with a particular focus on supporting and assisting undergraduates with their research projects;
- Scheduling equipment time and maintaining the lab calendar; and
- Developing standard operating procedures for lab instrumentation; and modifying these procedures as appropriate.
The candidate should be organized, meticulous, and capable of working independently; a commitment to maintaining a clean and organized laboratory is required. The position may require some travelling for the collection of geological samples. There will be opportunities to participate in data interpretation and publication of the results.
Lab instrumentation includes: Neptune MC-ICP-MS; iCAP-Q Quadrupole ICP-MS; and Dionex ICS 5000+ ion chromatography system.
Qualifications include a bachelor degree in chemistry, geoscience, or a related field; a Masters degree is preferred. Laboratory experience is required.
Interested individuals are invited to submit their curriculum vitae, a cover letter which includes career goals, and contact information for references.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW