Lecturer/Senior Lecturer, Ruminant Medicine and Production Animal Health
2 days left
- Full Time
Work type: Continuing
Division/Faculty: Faculty of Veterinary and Agricultural Sciences
Department/School: Melbourne Veterinary School
Role & Superannuation rate: Academic - Full time - 17% super
Salary: Level B - $102,967 - $122,268 p.a. or Level C - $126,128 - $145,431 p.a.
About the Role
The Lecturer/Senior Lecturer (Ruminant Medicine and Production Animal Health) is responsible for making significant contribution to ruminant medicine and production animal health at the Melbourne Veterinary School through teaching, research and consultancy. This position will deliver teaching to the Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) students, developing and delivering lectures, workshops and practical classes throughout the DVM programme.
This position will be required to develop collaborative, applied research in the areas of ruminant medicine and production animal health, seeking collaborative opportunities within the faculty, the wider University and external partners. Additionally, this position will collaborate with a team of experienced farm consultants who deliver veterinary services through the Mackinnon Consultancy to sheep, beef and goat farm clients, and will participate in on-farm veterinary research in Australia. The production animal’s group activities include participation in a portfolio of international research-for-development project across Southeast Asia and South Asia.
Commensurate with academic career stage, the Lecturer or Senior Lecturer will have experience in teaching, research and leadership as well as demonstrated capacities to collaborate effectively and build successful teams by fostering academic excellence in others. The Lecturer or Senior Lecturer will also have achieved recognition through original and innovative contributions to the discipline.
The role will be appointed as a Lecturer (Level B) or Senior Lecturer (Level C) based on the Selection Panel’s determination of the candidate’s application and level of career achievement.
For appointment at Level B, Lecturer:
- A degree in Veterinary Science registrable in Victoria.
- A post graduate qualification in an area relevant to ruminant health and production medicine, for example Membership or Fellowship of the Australian and New Zealand College of Veterinary Scientists, a specialist Diploma from a relevant college of the American or European Boards of Veterinary Specialisation, or a Masters’ qualification in a relevant area (or demonstrated substantial progress towards one of these qualifications).
- Clinical experience and/or post-graduate training in a field of veterinary, animal or agricultural science involving ruminant medicine and/or production.
- Prior experience in effective teaching at undergraduate/DVM level within the discipline and/or at other universities.
- A record in attracting and providing supervision to completion of graduate research students and demonstrated capacity to mentor and guide junior staff in their career pathways and development
- Detailed knowledge of and a record of clinical and/or research achievement within the Australian sheep and/or cattle industries.
- Demonstrated ability to undertake original and independent research in Ruminant Medicine and Production Animal Health or related areas of agricultural science and agronomy evidenced by a record contribution in peer reviewed journals, book chapters, conference papers and presentations.
- Demonstrated capacity of securing competitive research grants and/or industry funding, and collaborative working with research teams.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills with excellent English verbal and written communication skills.
- A capacity to work both independently and as a member of a team to deliver high quality teaching and/or research outcomes.
- Excellent organisational and administrative abilities and strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to work with people of diverse cultural backgrounds.
In addition to the above, to be considered to the appointment of Senior Lecturer, Level C:
- A PhD or equivalent (Fellowship of the Australian and New Zealand College of Veterinary Scientists, a specialist Diploma from a relevant college of the American or European Boards of Veterinary Specialisation), awarded in production animal health or related disciplines.
- Recognition as being influential in the discipline, evidenced by a strong record of original, innovative and distinguished contributions in peer reviewed journals, book chapters, conference papers and/or presentations.
- Demonstrated experience in the design and evaluation of educational activities, including curriculum development.
- A successful record of securing competitive research grants and/or industry funding.
- Commitment to excellence, and demonstrated capacity in leadership and innovation, in undergraduate and postgraduate teaching in the discipline.
- Demonstrated ability to develop strong links with livestock industries, relevant government departments and other stakeholders in developing research and industry initiatives.
- An excellent record in attracting and providing supervision to completion of graduate research students.
- Demonstrated experience of effective staff management and leadership within teams.
- Expertise in analysis of field data and of large-scale observational studies.
- Knowledge of and experience of the goat, deer or camelid industries.
For information to assist you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria, please go to: https://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/selection-criteria
Applications close: 05 Apr 2020 11:55 PM AUS Eastern Standard Time