Research Associate in Electrical Engineering
Organization Name Electrical and Computer Engineering
The newly-established Khalifa University of Science and Technology combines The Masdar Institute of Science and Technology, Khalifa University of Science, Technology and Research and The Petroleum Institute into one world-class, research-intensive institution, seamlessly integrating research and education to produce world leaders and critical thinkers in applied science and engineering. Khalifa University of Science and Technology endeavors to be a leader among research intensive universities of the 21st century, while catalyzing the growth of Abu Dhabi and the UAE’s rapidly developing knowledge economy.
The project,titled “MUSES: Multi‐Use Space Energy Systems”, aims to develop and deliver superior power electronics, electric machines, and associated control strategies to enable weight, cost, and size reduction while expanding the capabilities of aerospace platforms. Advances in aerospace systems are increasingly tied to advances in energy processing. Visions and current research efforts for aerospace systems clearly point towards new demands for electric energy processing for propulsion, sensor systems, and for enabling efficient, cost-effective programs for maintenance. For example, drones and light aircraft ranging from personal aircraft to small regional carriers are moving towards electric or hybrid propulsion. More generally, aircraft,satellites, and other space systems all offer ultimate examples of a power"microgrid," an isolated power delivery system vital to the core functions of aerospace assets. The importance of electric power and energy processing on aerospace platforms will grow and change in comparison to traditional satellites, launchers, and aircraft. This project will introduce advanced power electronics topologies, novel energy management systems, demand side management schemes, fault detection, isolation and recovery, and new electromagnetic actuators to ensure efficient, reliable and stable operation of the spacecraft and aeronautical power systems.
- The ideal candidate should also have expertise in some of the following areas of Control, Power System, and Power Electronics pertaining to spacecraft and aeronautical electrical power sub-system (EPS):
- Design and control of power electronic based DC power system configurations for EPS
- Stability analysis, closed loop control and power management of EPS
- Fault detection, isolation, and recovery for EPS
- Real-time simulation using OPAL-RT or RTDS lab
- Development of scaled experimental prototypes of EPS
- Proven programming skills for analytical and modeling purposes, e.g. Matlab and PSCAD
- Fluency in communicating, reading and writing in English
- MSc in Electrical Engineering and an established track record evident by publication in top quality journals
- Power System Modeling
- Power System Control/Micrgrid control
- System optimization
How To Apply
Note: You will be required to attach the following:
- Passport-size photograph
- Teaching and Research Statement
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (RecruitmentTeam@ku.ac.ae).
Apply for Research Associate in Electrical Engineering
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly