Environmental Science Research Professional
The Stanford School of Earth, Energy & Environmental Sciences (SE3) develops the knowledge and talent to understand the workings of the planet and to help solve resource and environmental challenges. The Earth System Science Department studies the world’s air, water, land, and life as an integrated system. As scientists, we unite basic and purpose-driven research to chronicle how the Earth functions, the many ways it is changing, and what the consequences of changes will be for people and other species. We believe that science can improve the world by enabling us to understand, predict, and solve the pressing issues of global environmental change. The Department is seeking a full-time researcher to help with a variety of ongoing projects supporting research investigations related to methane gas studies under the Jackson lab.
Your Responsibilities will include:
- Designing and executing field and lab studies focused on the intersection of humans and the environment;
- Conducting fieldwork primarily as campaign-based trips to California locations;
- Analyzing and interpreting research data for purposes of modeling and display;
- Overseeing and Managing equipment for reliability and safety;
- Maintaining safety standards and protocols in the lab and in the field;
- Additional responsibilities could include: attending research meetings to exchange ideas and provide input on papers being prepared for publication, and helping communicate the Jackson Lab’s activities to others.
* - The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
To be successful in this position, you will need:
Education & Experience:
Bachelors’ degree and two years of experience in related scientific field, or combination of education and relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated experience applying multidisciplinary scientific principles and practices to perform and assist with experimental design and coordinate laboratory activity.
- Demonstrated experience with analysis and interpretation of research data, and ability to recognize irregularities and invalid results.
- Demonstrated ability to organize data and develop models allowing for integration and display of data.
- Basic experience with scientific software applications, systems, or programs relevant for the job.
- Ability to coordinate and work with scientific or research staff and assist with technical procedures.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, and to provide information to scientific and research staff.
- Experience and troubleshooting ability with analytical equipment.
In addition, our preferred requirements include:
Interest in a broad range of scientific research and adaptability to help out with multiple ongoing projects.
*Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Why Stanford is for you:
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
How to Apply:
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit a cover letter and résumé along with your online application.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Stanford welcomes applications from all who would bring additional dimensions to the University’s research, teaching and clinical missions.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4970
- Employee Status: Fixed-Term
- Grade: G
- Requisition ID: 85899