Research Lab Technician
The Ismagilov Lab at Caltech is hiring a full-time lab technician for a one-year term position with possibility for extension, subject to funding. Reporting to Professor Rustem Ismagilov, the successful candidate will help researchers developing imaging and sequencing technologies for animal and human gut microbiomes by performing and validating a variety of experiments. The candidate will also assist researchers developing rapid antibiotic susceptibility testing technologies. More details about the lab group and these projects can be found at http://ismagilovlab.che.caltech.edu/research/.
- Assist graduate students and postdocs in validating their research findings by reproducing their experiments with additional samples.
- Perform DNA and RNA extractions from many different sample types.
- Analyze raw data and generate figures using software provided by the laboratory.
- Preserve and stain animal and human samples for high-resolution imaging.
- Perform nucleic acid amplification analysis using standard techniques such as qPCR, ddPCR, q-RT-PCR, dd-RT-PCR, and LAMP.
- Maintain the organization of lab workspaces.
- Follow lab procedures for maintaining a neat, detailed electronic lab notebook.
- A highly motivated and qualified candidate may additionally develop independent aspects of ongoing projects, while continuing to provide research support.
- Bachelor’s degree in science with educational emphasis in chemistry, biology, microbiology, or a related field required by date of hire.
- Lab experience in microbiology, molecular biology, and/or biochemistry.
- Highly detail-oriented; must have prior experience performing sensitive experiments and using laboratory techniques.
- Ability to manipulate and prepare small and delicate tissue samples.
- Must be able to use sound judgment to handle a variety of tasks simultaneously and to shift priorities, as well as effectively solve problems.
- Must be able to work independently as well as part of a team in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with all levels of staff.
- Strong organizational, time-management, and project-management skills.
- Ambition to enter a top medical or graduate school.
- Co-authorship on a scientific publication.
- Prior experience performing PCR and nucleic-acid extractions.
- Prior experience with the dissection of delicate samples.
- Prior experience with microbial culture.
- Prior experience with antibody and FISH staining and/or fluorescence microscopy.
- Prior experience or undergraduate-level coursework with a basic programming language for data analysis (Python, MATLAB, etc.).
- Cover Letter