Computational Research Support Analyst
University Job Title
Computational Research Support Analyst
None - Not included in the union (Yale Union Group)
Administration & Operations
Compensation Grade Profile
Manager; Program Leader (P5)
160 St. Ronan Street New Haven, CT 06511
Standard (M-F equal number of hours per day)
Searchable Job Family
Research Res Support, Research/Support
Total # of hours to be worked:
The Yale Center for Research Computing (YCRC) seeks a Computational Research Support Analyst to join the Center’s interdisciplinary Research Support group. The position will focus on cloud technologies in service of research computing. The successful candidate will work with researchers from across the University in many disciplines. General areas of support include cloud-based high throughput and high performance computing, storage and large-scale data management, scientific computation, education and training, and computational collaborations. The position requires excellent communication skills, the ability to work within a team and juggle many simultaneous projects, and a can-do attitude. For candidates interested in research, the opportunity exists for extended collaboration with researchers up to 20% time.
This position involves consulting with and advising researchers who have a wide range of research interests and computational abilities (including faculty, postdocs, and graduate students). The YCRC provides support that spans the Yale School of Medicine and Faculty of Arts & Sciences and encompasses Yale’s High Performance Computing (HPC) clusters, multiple petabytes of high-performance storage, and technologies for computational science and analysis, sharing, and management of large-scale research data.
The successful candidate will have significant experience with at least one and preferably several of the following cloud platforms: AWS, Azure, GCP, OpenStack.
In addition to the standard duties of YCRC Computational Research Support Analysts (below), this position will have additional specific duties related to the position’s cloud computing focus:
- Provide high-level cloud computing support to the Yale community.
- Collaborate with cloud computing efforts at Yale ITS and elsewhere at the University.
- Identify where use of cloud resources is prudent; design/implement solutions.
- Work with the HPC engineering team to interface cloud and local resources.
- Investigate new cloud technologies and techniques.
- Develop and deliver workshops on cloud computing techniques for researchers.
- Train YCRC staff in cloud technologies.
The position will work across all disciplines including natural and social sciences, engineering, and life sciences. This position will report to the Center’s lead for Life Science support. The Yale Center for Research Computing is a unit within Research Support Administration in the Office of Provost.
Dept/Section URLClick here for more information
- Collaborate with faculty and researchers to provide scientific computational expertise to enhance efficiency of research algorithms
- Interface with faculty to solicit requirements on how best to enhance the daily operations of the Advanced Research Computing Facility (ARCF).
- Work with the HPC engineering team to implement these operational enhancements.
- Provide technical support, computing assistance, and training to ARCF users primarily in the university's main campus departments in the natural and social sciences and engineering. This includes:a. Software installation and support of various scientific software packages.b. Support of research groups' computational research through consultation and design of software and systems.c. Parallel programming and performance tuning.d. Assistance with data management and sharing.e. Troubleshooting users' computational problems.
- Investigate new computing technologies (in areas such as hardware, software, and networking, depending on the candidate's interests and expertise)
- Develop and deliver training programs, seminars, and other outreach activities to a diverse community of faculty, students, and others sharing a common interest in advanced computing and data processing technologies for research. Training will include basic and advanced programs in HPC and data science.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree in a scientific or computational field plus two years of academic or scientific industry experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Extensive experience with Infrastructure as a Service (IAAS), AWS/GCP/Azure.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Proven ability working in Linux environments.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Mastery of programming in at least one language such as Python or C.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Experience with building and deploying cloud infrastructure for research / data analysis.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Self-starter. Demonstrated ability to juggle multiple projects/collaborations simultaneously with excellent written and oral communications skills.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Master’s degree in a scientific field, preferably with experience in scientific computing, computational modeling. High performance computing/parallel computing experience. Certificates in cloud platforms and technologies, e.g. AWS/GCP/Azure/RedHat Certified, OpenStack, Kubernetes. Experience in an educational environment where compliance with HIPAA or other regulatory controls are in use.
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yale University is a tobacco-free campus