PhD Candidate, Department of Industrial Economics and Technology Management
Norwegian Centre for Energy Transition Strategies (Acceleration of sustainable energy technologies)
About the position
There are two temporary PhD positions available at the Department of Industrial Economics and Technology Management. The positions are resident at NTNU's campus in Trondheim.
The department is organized into six sections:
- Managerial Economics, Finance and Operations Research
- Health, Safety and Environment Management
- Strategy and Business Development
- Operations Management
- Experts in Teamwork
- Section of Economics and management (Campus Gjøvik)
Both positions are connected to the section of Strategy and Business Development.
These are educational positions, which will provide promising research recruits the opportunity for professional development through studies towards a PhD degree. The positions are connected to the PhD programme at the Faculty of Economics and Management and the faculty will be your employer.
The two positions are connected to the Norwegian Centre for Energy Transition Strategies (NTRANS), which is a multidisciplinary national research center studying transitions in the energy sector and related sectors. NTRANS is a collaboration between 8 Norwegian research institutions and over 30 user partners from industry and the public sector. Key research areas are the future energy system, active consumers and distributed solutions, deep decarbonization and sector couplings, and accelerating the energy transition.
Main duties and responsibilities
The two PhD positions will focus on the role of firms in accelerating the energy transition, and how firms are incentivized to actively participate in the energy transition. To study acceleration, we need a deeper understanding of how firms assess and seeks entrepreneurial opportunities in this context. A deeper and wider energy transition can lead to more activities and business opportunities across sectors, where firms will need to engage, collaborate and co-create across sectors and with new actors (such as other firms, NGOs or public organizations) to develop innovative solutions. Overall, these positions target two different, but related, topics in relation to the role of firms in accelerating the energy transition:
- innovation and co-creation, and
- firm investment decisions and strategies.
In their project proposal, the applicants must indicate which of these topics they are interested to study in their PhD.
- The PhD position's main objective is to qualify for work in research positions. The qualification requirement is completion of a master’s degree or second degree (equivalent to 120 credits) with a strong academic background in Industrial Economics and Technology Management or equivalent education with a grade of B or better in terms of NTNU’s grading scale. Applicants with no letter grades from previous studies must have an equally good academic foundation. Applicants who are unable to meet these criteria may be considered only if they can document that they are particularly suitable candidates for education leading to a PhD degree.
- The position requires excellent English oral and writing skills.
- The candidate should have knowledge about (or even experience with) Norwegian or Scandinavian industry and work life.
In addition, the following qualification will contribute positively to the evaluation of the applicant:
- Knowledge of Norwegian or other Scandinavian language
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and national guidelines for appointment as PhD, postdoctor and research assistant.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. This also applies to applications from candidates originating from countries covered by ITAR or “Electronic Code of Federal Regulations”.
Personal qualifications which we see contribute positively to the research team are independence, work capacity and enthusiasm. We are also looking for candidates with social skills benefiting the work environment for the PhD candidates and in general.
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal suitability, as well as motivation, in terms of the qualification requirements specified in the advertisement.
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment with close links to industry
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
PhD candidates are remunerated in code 1017, at NOK 479 600 before tax per year. From the salary, 2 % is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is 3 years without required teaching duties. The position is connected to the PhD programme at the Faculty of Economics and Management and the faculty will be your employer. Appointment to a PhD position requires admission to the PhD programme in Economics and Management. As a PhD candidate, you undertake to participate in an organized PhD programme during the employment period. A condition of appointment is that you are in fact qualified for admission to the PhD programme within three months.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criterias in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background.
Under the Freedom of Information Act (offentleglova), information about the applicant may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to have their name entered on the list of applicants.
About the application
The application must include:
- Application letter concerning your motivation for completing a PhD
- A short project proposal describing thematically problems, theories, methods and means linked to one of the topics/areas that the positions target.
- A CV with information on education, previous research experience, together with authorized documentation of certificates and study records.
- Academic work (not master thesis). Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify the individual applicant's contribution to joint works, the applicant must include a brief description of his or her contribution.
Publications and other academic works that the applicant would like to be considered in the evaluation must accompany the application.
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no and attach your CV, diplomas and certificates. Incomplete applications will not be considered. This also applies to applications from candidates originating from countries covered by ITAR or “Electronic Code of Federal Regulations”.
Application deadline: March 15th 2020
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Industrial Economics and Technology Management
We conduct research and teaching at an international level in the interface between technology/natural sciences and economics, management, and HSE (health, safety and the environment). Our goal is sustainable creation of value within technology-based areas in industry, business and the public sector in Norway. We have academic groups in Trondheim and Gjøvik. The Department of Industrial Economics and Technology Management is one of four departments in the Faculty of Economics and Management.
Deadline 15th March 2020
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Scope Fulltime (2 jobs)
Place of service Trondheim