Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Mathematics
(Lecturer Level B/Senior Lecturer Level C) $97,577 to $136,990 per annum plus an employer contribution of up to 17% may apply.
Fixed-term position available for 3 years with the possibility of conversion to continuing position subject to funding availability and performance commencing March 2020
Be part of our new Bachelor of Technology (Defence Industries) program giving our students the knowledge and expertise to step up to a career in South Australia’s growing defence industry
The School of Mathematical Sciences is seeking an outstanding individual for a fixed term position as a lecturer in mathematics. The successful candidate will lead the development and delivery of coursework in mathematics and data analytics to technology students and will contribute to the research effort of the School.
The School is responsible for teaching mathematics programs from the Bachelor to PhD level with specialisations in pure mathematics, applied mathematics and statistics, as well as providing high quality service teaching into other degree programs. It provides an active and vibrant research environment and is internationally known for its research across all three of its disciplines. The School is expanding its teaching operations to the new Bachelor of Technology programs offered by the Faculty of Engineering Computer and Mathematical Sciences. Candidates with experience in engineering applications, an ability to communicate with students at all levels and an interest in modern pedagogy are strongly encouraged to apply.
To be successful at Lecturer Level B you will need:
- A PhD, or equivalent, in an area of mathematics or statistics or a related field.
- A record of research achievements, as evidenced by publishing, attracting externally funded research grants and holding a research program in an area of mathematics and statistics.
- An interest in the application of mathematics and statistics to solving real-world problems in engineering, technology and related fields.
- An ability to teach effectively at all levels, including lecturing large classes, using modern pedagogy plus an ability to supervise and motivate undergraduate and postgraduate students including encouraging intellectual development and career aspirations.
- High quality interpersonal skills, ability to work collaboratively as part of a team and engage with industry, with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
In addition to the above, to be successful at Senior Lecturer Level C you will need:
- Experience in the application of mathematics and statistics to solving real-world problems in engineering, technology and related fields.
- Demonstrated experience teaching effectively at all levels, including lecturing large classes, using modern pedagogy.
- Leadership experience and experience in engagement with industry.
- Demonstrated experience in supporting a research team by contributing to the mentoring of higher degree by research and/or Honours students.
Enjoy an outstanding career environment
The University of Adelaide is a uniquely rewarding workplace. The size, breadth and quality of our education and research programs - including significant industry, government and community collaborations - offers you vast scope and opportunity for a long, fulfilling career.
It also enables us to attract high-calibre people in all facets of our operations, ensuring you will be surrounded by talented colleagues, many world-leading. Our work's cutting-edge nature - not just in your own area, but across virtually the full spectrum of human endeavour - provides a constant source of inspiration.
Our core values are honesty, respect, fairness, discovery and excellence. Our culture is one that welcomes all and embraces diversity. We are firm believers that our people are our most valuable asset, so we work to grow and diversify the skills of our staff.
The Faculty of ECMS aims to increase the diversity of its staff population and applications from women are particularly encouraged. To support our staff and students in their academic lives, the faculty celebrates diversity and has a range of programs available including:
- A variety of flexible working arrangements
- Support to staff with caring responsibilities to participate in conferences, workshops, field trips and other approved work related travel
- Research support schemes designed to support female academics to enhance and promote their career
- Childcare facilities
- Women’s professional development network opportunities
In addition, we offer salary packaging; high-quality professional development programs and activities; and an on-campus health clinic, gym and other fitness facilities.
Learn more at: adelaide.edu.au/jobs
Your faculty's broader role
The Faculty of Engineering, Computer and Mathematical Sciences is a thriving centre of learning, teaching and research in a vast range of engineering disciplines, computer science - including machine learning - and high-level mathematics. Many of its academic staff are work leaders in their fields and graduates are highly regarded by employers.
Learn more at: ecms.adelaide.edu.au
If you want to change tomorrow, act today
Click on the link below for a copy of the selection criteria and to apply: (If no links appear, try viewing on another device)
Please ensure you address and upload your responses to all of the selection criteria.
Application close 17 March 2020
For further information
For a confidential discussion regarding this position, contact:
Associate Professor Gary Glonek
Head of the School of Mathematical Sciences
P: +61 (8) 83133218
The University of Adelaide is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Women and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people who meet the requirements of this position are strongly encouraged to apply.