Lecturer in Applied Mathematics
(Lecturer Level B) $97,577 - $115,495 per annum plus an employer contribution of up to 17% superannuation may apply.
Fixed term position from 1 July 2020 to 30 June 2024
The School of Mathematical Sciences is seeking an outstanding individual for a fixed-term position as a lecturer in applied mathematics. The successful candidate will contribute to the teaching program and research effort of the School.
The School is responsible for teaching mathematics programs from the Bachelor to PhD level with specialisations in pure mathematics, applied mathematics and statistics, as well as providing high quality service teaching into other degree programs. It provides an active and vibrant research environment and is internationally known for its research across all three of its disciplines. Within applied mathematics, the School has research strengths in dynamics, modelling and computation, and in stochastic modelling and optimisation. Candidates with research interests in areas such as fluid mechanics, solid mechanics or dynamical systems are strongly encouraged to apply.
To be successful you will need:
- A PhD or equivalent in an area of applied mathematics or a related field.
- Research ability that supports the School's research interests in applied mathematics supported by a record of research achievements, as evidenced by publishing, attracting externally funded research grants and holding a research program in an area or applied mathematics.
- Enthusiasm and ability to teach effectively at all levels, including lecturing large classes.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively as part of a team, with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Interest in students and an ability to motivate them including encouraging intellectual development and career aspirations.
Enjoy an outstanding career environment
The University of Adelaide is a uniquely rewarding workplace. The size, breadth and quality of our education and research programs - including significant industry, government and community collaborations - offers you vast scope and opportunity for a long, fulfilling career.
It also enables us to attract high-calibre people in all facets of our operations, ensuring you will be surrounded by talented colleagues, many world-leading. Our work's cutting-edge nature - not just in your own area, but across virtually the full spectrum of human endeavour - provides a constant source of inspiration.
Our core values are honesty, respect, fairness, discovery and excellence. Our culture is one that welcomes all and embraces diversity, We are firm believers that our people are our most valuable asset, so we work to grow and diversify the skills of our staff.
The Faculty of ECMS aims to increase the diversity of its staff population and applications from women are particularly encouraged. To support our staff and students in their academic lives, the faculty celebrates diversity and has a range of programs available including:
- A variety of flexible working arrangements
- Support to staff with caring responsibilities to participate in conferences, workshops, field trips and other approved work related travel
- Research support schemes designed to support female academics to enhance and promote their career
- Childcare facilities
- Women’s professional development network opportunities
- In addition, we offer salary packaging; high-quality professional development programs and activities; and an on-campus health clinic, gym and other fitness facilities.
Learn more at: adelaide.edu.au/jobs
Your faculty's broader role
The Faculty of Engineering, Computer and Mathematical Sciences is a thriving centre of learning, teaching and research in a vast range of engineering disciplines, computer science - including machine learning - and high-level mathematics. Many of its academic staff are work leaders in their fields and graduates are highly regarded by employers.
Learn more at: ecms.adelaide.edu.au
If you want to change tomorrow, act today
Click on the link below for a copy of the selection criteria and to apply: (If no links appear, try viewing on another device)
Please ensure you address and upload your responses to all of the selection criteria.
Application close 17 March 2020
For further information
For a confidential discussion regarding this position, contact:
Associate Professor Gary Glonek
Head of the School of Mathematical Sciences
P: +61 (8) 83133218
The University of Adelaide is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Women and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people who meet the requirements of this position are strongly encouraged to apply.