Hamad Bin Khalifa University (HBKU), a member of Qatar Foundation for Education, Science, and Community Development (QF), was founded in 2010 to continue fulfilling QF’s vision of unlocking human potential. HBKU is an emerging research university that acts as a catalyst for positive change in Qatar and the region while having a global impact.
To oversee all legal matters related to HBKU and provide the necessary legal advice that ensures that the University and its member entities are in full compliance with applicable laws, regulations and effective agreements.
Key Result Areas:
- Provide legal advice on any issues that may arise to ensure interests of HBKU are safeguarded.
- Act as the primary source of legal information for HBKU to ensure provision of consistent legal advice to the President and other HBKU entities as necessary to ensure compliance with applicable laws and agreements.
- Draft, review and assist in negotiating contracts and agreements to serve the best interests of HBKU and ensure enforceability of terms and conditions including agreements related to intellectual property, research grants, academic collaboration, sponsorships, partnerships, service contracts, employment offers and contracts, etc.
- Act as the Secretary of HBKU Board of Trustees and manage its affairs including arranging meeting invitations, taking minutes of meetings, drafting and issuing board resolutions, preparing members' appointment and termination decisions, and all other relevant board management activities.
- Oversee the maintenance of legal registration documents of HBKU and ensure they always remain valid.
- Guide the legal registration process for new entities associated with HBKU including establishing new entities, spinning off or dissolving existing entities, acquiring existing entities, etc.
- Advise on compliance of HBKU with Qatari Law and any other applicable laws to mitigate any risk of legal action against the HBKU resulting from breach or violation of laws and other legally binding terms.
- Under the supervision of the President, identify the level of confidentiality of data, contracts and agreements, and ensure that HBKU documents are kept in safe places and are accessible to authorized employees only.
- Gather and analyze research data, such as statutes, decisions, and legal articles, codes and documents for reference and citation in the course of executing legal functions.
- Represent HBKU, in agreement with the President, in meetings with other QF entities as well as external entities, such as governmental authorities, NGOs, private organizations, etc.
- Follow-up on legal agreements to ensure that they are fully implemented and respond to any queries as appropriate.
- Work with third-party legal advisors, under the supervision of the President, to seek specialized professional legal opinion as needed.
- Develop and coach nationals and support Qatarization initiatives within the domain of command.
- Other reasonable tasks as assigned by supervisor.
Operating Environment, Framework & Boundaries:
Strictly observe confidentiality due to access and/or involvement in agreements signed/endorsed by HBKU. All applicable laws by the State of Qatar with regards to solicitors' conduct, code of practice as well as policies and procedures guide the incumbent's day-to-day activities. The incumbent must also abide by all applicable foreign law in the course of duty. The work is performed in office environment and occasional travel may be required.
Communications and Working Relationships:
- President - Provide legal assistance and advice and seek direction and guidance.
- HBKU Senior Management - Support with review of agreements and negotiations.
- Governmental Authorities - Seek approvals and submit information as legally needed.
- External Legal Advisors - Seek legal opinion on handling specialized legal matters.
Problem Solving & Complexity:
- Proactively identifies problems that are inhibiting meeting organizational objectives.
- Encourages both individuals and teams to solve problems through empowerment and effective delegation and review mechanisms.
- Ensures the allocation of resources and invests in people and tools to optimize problem solving and decision-making efforts.
- Removes obstacles and facilitates information flow to support effective problem solving across the organization.
Decision Making Authority & Responsibility:
- Applies judgment to decide when to make swift decisions even in the absence of all necessary information.
- Arrives at sound and timely decisions, based on past experience and an understanding of the current business environment and projected changes.
- Considers the impact of decisions on various stakeholders and takes this into account.
- Delegates decision-making as appropriate to encourage and facilitate empowerment.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- Master's degree in law.
- 8 years of relevant full-time work experience, including 5 years of experience as a lawyer in a professional environment, preferably in research and/or higher education environment.
- Possession of professional qualifications and memberships is an advantage.
- Knowledge of Qatari and international law.
- Strong client service skills as demonstrated through efficient and creative resolution of legal issues.
- Fluency in written and oral English. Arabic is preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and presentation skills with outstanding writing skills and ability to draft written documents and communications and articulate ideas clearly and concisely.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Applications.
How to Apply:
Please submit your completed application (CV, cover letter and the names of three references with their full contact information) via the following link: Click here to apply
Review of applications is expected to begin soon and continue until the position is filled. Shortlist will be called for interviews.
HBKU offers an attractive compensation package that includes a tax-free salary and additional benefits such as an education allowance, furnished accommodation, annual paid leave, air tickets and medical insurance.
HBKU, as an equal opportunity educator and employer, is committed to maintaining culturally and academically diverse staff of the highest caliber.