Dean, College of Business, Hospitality and Tourism Studies
3 days left
- Full Time
Closing Date 29-Feb-2020
College/Division Office of the Vice Chancellor
Department Department of Administration
Location Nasinu - Valelevu
Num x 1
The University is seeking an experienced and visionary Dean to lead the College of Business, Hospitality and Tourism Studies (CBHTS) into the next stage of its development. The College is the second largest in the University with 5,000 students and 125 staff. The College presently includes both TVET and higher education programmes, but the University is planning to restructure so that TVET becomes part of a separate college.
The incoming Dean of CBHTS will lead the College into the next phase of its development, as it focuses on gaining international accreditation from AACSB and AMBA and building a high-performing research culture.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To provide vision, academic leadership and strategic management for the College, to enable it to contribute fully to the University’s vision and mission and Strategic Plan objectives.
- To manage and administer the College within the University’s delegation framework for academic quality assurance, financial and human resource management, ensuring that the governance, management and organisational structures and processes of the College are effective, efficient and transparent, that the process of decision making is clear and that the operational processes conform to the University’s policies and procedures.
- To prepare an annual academic and financial plan for the College in accordance with the University’s Strategic Plan objectives and to take responsibility for its delivery through effective and efficient operational planning.
- To empower the staff in the College through effective leadership and ensure that workload models, fair and transparent staff appraisal, and development and reward strategies are in place and effectively operated and aligned with the University’s institutional requirements.
- To ensure that the College’s academic programmes are delivered and research conducted according to the rules and guidelines of the University and its Senate, that the curricula remain relevant and are continuously refreshed and renewed and that the University’s technological infrastructure to support learning and teaching is optimally utilised.
- To manage, promote, develop and engage with professional practice, bodies and partners regarding professions relevant to the College.
- To maintain an organisational culture and effective structures and processes within the College which are conducive to the provision of a high quality student experience and high level of satisfaction.
- To promote and market the College and its Schools to future students and staff and to ensure cooperation with regard to learning and teaching, research and engagement across and between Schools and Colleges and to pursue cooperation with other educational institutions in support of the University’s strategic objectives.
- To develop and actively pursue an income generation strategy from external sources to enhance the growth and diversification of income streams, by exploiting new business, research and enterprise opportunities.
- To promote internal communication, and ensure that all staff are kept informed of University and College affairs and plans (including the targets and progress with regard to the University’s Strategic Plan).
The successful candidate will be an experienced academic leader, with a strong record of scholarship and research in management, economics, accounting or business administration that commands credibility within the academic community nationally and internationally. S/he will have experience of curriculum design and development and familiarity with the requirements of national and international accreditation.
- An earned PhD or DBA in business administration, management or cognate discipline from a recognised university.
- Professional membership of an internationally recognised professional body.
- A significant personal record of research, evidenced by peer-reviewed journal articles, research grants and PhD completions
- A record of successful academic leadership in a higher education institution that includes a broad range of disciplines
- A record of successful curriculum development, including the incorporation of new developments in tertiary pedagogy and distance delivery (including educational technologies).
- Experience with national and international external accreditation bodies and processes, notably AACSB and AMBA.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively at all levels
- Ability to manage and motivate own team and where appropriate other corporate teams.
- Ability to negotiate, persuade and influence at both institutional and individual level
- Effective organisational and time management skills
- Experience of developing strategy and initiating and implementing change in a complex, multicultural environment
- Experience of positive engagement with students and/or student representative bodies
All applications are to include:
- a cover letter expressing the interest to join Fiji National University,
- a statement of claim addressing the key selection criteria stated in the person specification,
- a detailed CV and certified copies of all qualifications,
- letters of support from two colleagues who were not subordinates at any time, and
- names and contacts of at least 3 confidential referees.
The statement of claim against the selection criteria will provide evidence on how your qualifications and experience meet the criteria. This statement of claim will form the main basis for shortlisting. Failure to provide this letter will result in your application not being considered.
To explore the post further or for any queries you may have, please contact: Dharmend Chand, Manager Talent Acquisition & HR Partnerships, Division of Human Resources Tel: + (679) 3394000 ext. 2639, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Salary An attractive salary commensurate with qualifications and abilities will be negotiated with the successful applicant.
Prospectus Click here to download
Job Description Click here to download
Statement of Claim Guide Click here to download
All applications are to include:
- A covering letter of application addressing each of the criterion of the person specifications above, evidencing how your qualifications and experience meet the criteria. Guide on how to address your claims against the selection criteria can be downloaded from the link below.
This covering letter will form the main basis for shortlisting. Failure to provide this covering letter will result in your application not being considered.
- A detailed CV and certified copies of all academic transcripts, three referees, with full contact details, including telephone numbers and e-mail addresses. Candidate should state their relationship with each referee (e.g., line manager, former postgraduate supervisor)
All applications must be submitted online using the University’s online job applications system which can be accessed at this address: https://careers.fnu.ac.fj/ . Applications sent via email or manually for all established (salaried) positions will not be accepted.
Should you have any queries or face difficulty submitting your application online , please email on: email@example.com
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you have not been contacted by Fiji National University, then your application has not been successful.