Postdoc Position in Computer Science
Department Faculty of Informatics
Deadline 29 Feb 2020
Start date By mutual agreement.
Masaryk University, Faculty of Informatics, Brno, Czech Republic invites excellent scientists to apply for POSTDOC POSITIONS in COMPUTER SCIENCE
The Faculty of Informatics of Masaryk University (FI MU) in Brno is a leading research institution in the field of computer science in the Czech Republic. FI MU has strong international research potential in many areas from basic science to industrial applications (currently with over 30 hi-tech industrial partners including Konica Minolta, RedHat and Honeywell). Furthermore, Brno with its many IT companies is often called the Silicon Valley of Central Europe.
The Faculty of Informatics of Masaryk University invites applications for two two-year Postdoc positions in computer science, with an emphasis on one of the following research areas:
- algorithms and complexity, big data analytics, computer security and applied cryptography, critical information infrastructures, formal methods, human-computer interaction, image analysis and processing, information retrieval, logic and automata, machine learning and data mining, management of data, natural language processing, quantum information processing, scheduling and planning, virtual and augmented reality, and visualisation
The monthly salary is 63,000 CZK (more than 29,000 EUR per year at total). Additional funds will be available for travel and material expenses.
The successful candidate must:
- be a researcher who has received a PhD or its equivalent within the last 7 years ,
- be a researcher who has worked at least two whole years within the last three years outside the territory of the Czech Republic in the field of research with a working contract of at least 0.5 full-time equivalent, or who has been a PhD student (or equivalent) abroad,
- have a publishing record – during the last three years at least two publication outputs registered in the Thomson Reuters Web of Science, Scopus or ERIH PLUS databases and (at the same time) marked as “article”, “book”, “book chapter”, “letter” or “review”,
- be fluent in English, while prior knowledge of Czech is not required.
Specific selection criteria include:
- background and a strong research record in one of the research areas listed above, and willingness to work on topics which are in the current research focus of the Faculty of Informatics, and
- publishing record at some of the top international CS conferences (according to the CORE ranking) in the research area.
Potential candidates are also strongly advised to informally contact the matching research group(s) at the Faculty of Informatics (see www.fi.muni.cz/research/) before submitting their application.
The application should include:
- a CV including a summary of education and research experience, publication activity, involvement in research grants, etc,
- a clearly scanned copy of the PhD diploma, or an official letter certifying submission of a doctoral thesis for defense and the planned defense date before the selection date,
- a motivation letter explaining the applicant’s interest in doing research at the Faculty of Informatics and identifying the particular research group at the Faculty which the applicant plans to work in; see www.fi.muni.cz/research/,
- arrange for at least two reference letters attached to the application or sent to the contact e-mail address below.
Each of these parts should be included in a separate PDF file with the application.
Anticipated start date: The position is available from May 2020 and should be started by September 2020 at the latest.
The submission deadline is 29 February 2020.
Please submit your application with all supporting files (as attachments) electronically at https://www.muni.cz/en/about-us/careers/vacancies/52171.
For informal enquiries, and possible external reference letters (but not for your application!), use an e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
A review of applications will be commenced immediately after the deadline. Short-listed candidates will be notified and invited for an interview within one month of the deadline.
FI MU offers the opportunity to get:
- an interesting job in a dynamically-expanding university area,
- diverse and challenging work in an excellent research environment,
- tenure track with an initial appointment for 2 years,
- a professional team and pleasant working conditions,
- interaction with leading scientists in an inspiring, internationalised environment,
- a welcoming service for the successful candidate and his/her family.
Further information is available: