Senior/Principal Engineer, Innovation Team Leader
Application closing date 10/02/2020
Salary £51,150 to £64,591 per annum
Job category/type Research
Are you an experienced Senior or Principal Software Engineer with a keen interest in Cyber Security, AI and solving societal challenges with new technologies? The CSIT team are seeking to recruit a Senior/Principal Engineer - Innovation to join us. You will have solid software engineering fundamentals, experience combining multiple technology components into working systems and will use your development and leadership experience to lead and develop engineering teams, engage with internal and external clients to determine requirements, and bring to life solutions. You will be working on leading edge research, not seen anywhere in industry, alongside our world renowned academic colleagues. You will translate this research from theory into to tangible software assets, IP and real world demonstrators that capture the imagination. Your team will be working on full stack development utilising high-level software development such as C, C++, Java, Python and R. Alternatively you can recommend alternative technologies and frameworks. Whatever tools get the job done.
Working in CSIT is both challenging and rewarding, you will drive innovation, think differently about approaches and deliver results where you and the team will be creating tomorrows security essentials today, in an environment which encourages experimentation.
This post is currently available until 31 January 2022. Fixed term contract posts are available for the stated period in the first instance but, in particular circumstances, may be renewed or made permanent, subject to availability of funding.
The Institute of Electronics, Communications and Information Technology (ECIT) is a Global Research Institute (GRI) of Queen's University, Belfast. Operating under the agenda-setting theme of "Secure Connected Intelligence", ECIT is a globally recognised institute, driven by research excellence, solving societal challenges and delivering impact through a unique model of open innovation. Building on strengths across "Secure Connected Intelligence", the Institute will draw in interdisciplinary expertise from specialist centres at QUB such as Global Food Security and Medical and Health Sciences, as well as supporting the application of these technologies in other sectors such as financial services (Fintech) and advanced manufacturing.
Since 2008, the Centre for Secure Information Technologies (CSIT) has been at the leading edge of cyber security innovation. CSIT is the UK national Innovation and Knowledge Centre for cyber security. With a remit to conduct world-leading research into practical privacy preserving technologies, supply chain security and hardware Trojan detection, resilience in industrial control systems, AI for cyber security, and inconspicuous security through smart network technologies, the centre also has responsibility to commercialise the research and support the growth of the cyber security industry in the UK. CSIT employs a team of 15 experienced product developers in both software and hardware systems to further develop new ideas into well-engineered prototypes, technology demonstrators, and licensable IP.
The CSIT engineering team supports a major cybersecurity innovation accelerator based in London:
- The London Office for Rapid Cybersecurity Advancement (LORCA), a GBP 13.5M investment from UK Government focused on accelerating growth in the cybersecurity industry in the UK. In collaboration with Plexal and Deloitte the LORCA innovation hub opened in June 2018, is hosted in the former Olympic Park, East London and provides a specialist incubation programme for start-up companies in the cyber sector - a launch pad for a whole generation of new cyber security companies (https://www.lorca.co.uk/).
As a member of the CSIT engineering team you will use your software development skills to complement the work of the UK's most celebrated cyber-security innovation lab. Informed by CSIT's research, you will engage with early stage cyber-security start-up companies from across the UK and provide practical engineering support to help them develop their business ideas into tangible software assets and demonstrators.
The successful candidate must have:
- 2:1 Honours Degree, or equivalent, in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics or related discipline. In exceptional circumstances, relevant programming experience will be considered appropriate with non-related degree.
- Must have R&D or commercial product design experience in software systems.
- Excellent software development skills in high-level languages such as C, C++, Java, Python and R.
- Technical excellence as evidenced by architecting major, software and/or hardware products. Relevant peer reviewed publications may also be acceptable.
- Successful track record in leading, managing and mentoring a team.
- Evidence of designing and delivering complex R&D projects.
- Must have significant R&D or commercial product design experience in software systems.
- Excellent software development skills over many years in high-level languages such as C, C++, Java, Python and R. Background in the use of code configuration management or continuous integration toolsets.
- Significant track record of technical excellence as evidenced by architecting major, software and/or hardware products. Relevant peer reviewed publications may also be acceptable.
- Multiple examples of leading, managing and mentoring a team.
Queen's University Belfast is one of Northern Ireland's most dynamic and exciting employers with influential and world leading staff impacting on the world around us. We are a magnet for investment, a patron of the arts and a global player in fields ranging from cancer research to environmental sustainability. We offer competitive salaries with incremental progression within scale, and an annual review of a cost of living increase. At Queen's we hold work life balance in the highest regard, offering 37 days annual leave and family friendly initiatives. Our generous pension of USS 21.1% employer contribution and we offer a multitude of development options tailored to help you succeed within your role with us and to support you with your career progression. As an employee you will be able to access discounted award winning sports facilities, Queen's Film Theatre and local food and beverage outlets among many others. We are immensely proud of what our University will offer you. Candidate Information
Informal enquiries may be directed to David Crozier viaemail to email@example.com