Senior/Principal Engineer, AI - Based Security
Application closing date 07/02/2020
Salary £51,150 to £64,591 per annum
Job category/type Research
Are you an experienced Senior or Principal Software Engineer with a keen interest in Cyber Security, Machine Learning, Data Science, Artificial/Machine Intelligence and solving societal challenges with new technologies? The CSIT team are seeking to recruit a Senior/Principal Engineer - AI based Security to join us. You will have significant R&D or commercial product design experience in software systems incorporating AI techniques or machine intelligence workflows, experience combining multiple technology components into working systems and will use your development and leadership experience to lead and develop engineering teams, engage with internal and external clients to determine requirements, and bring to life solutions. You will be working on leading edge research, not seen anywhere in industry, alongside our world renowned academic colleagues. You will translate this research from theory into to tangible software assets, IP and real world demonstrators that capture the imagination. Your team will be working on full stack development utilising high-level software development such as C, C++, Java, Python and R. Alternatively you can recommend alternative technologies and frameworks. Whatever tools get the job done.
Working in CSIT is both challenging and rewarding, you will drive innovation, think differently about approaches and deliver results where you and the team will be creating tomorrows security essentials today, in an environment which encourages experimentation.
Since 2008, the Centre for Secure Information Technologies (CSIT) has been at the leading edge of cybersecurity innovation. CSIT is the UK national Innovation and Knowledge Centre for cyber security. With a remit to conduct world leading research into applied cryptography, network security and security analytics (Artificial Intelligence) the centre also has responsibility to commercialise that research and support the growth of the cyber security industry in the UK. CSIT employs a team of 15 experienced product developers in both software and hardware systems to further develop new ideas into well-engineered prototypes and technology demonstrators.
This post is currently available until 31 January 2022. Fixed term contract posts are available for the stated period in the first instance but, in particular circumstances, may be renewed or made permanent, subject to availability of funding.
The successful candidate must have:
- 2:1 Honours Degree, or equivalent, in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics or related disciplines with high data analytics content.
- Must have significant R&D or commercial product design experience in software systems incorporating AI techniques or machine intelligence workflows.
- Excellent software development skills in high-level languages such as C, C++, Java, Python and R. A strong background in the use of code configuration management and continuous integration toolsets.
- A sustained stream of high quality outputs such as technical reports, major component design specifications and project deliverables which have successfully passed formal quality review procedures. Relevant peer reviewed publications may also be acceptable. (Senior Engineer)
- Strong technical excellence as evidenced by architecting multiple, major, software products over an extensive career. (Principal Engineer)
- Successful track record in leading, managing and mentoring a team (Principal Engineer).
- Strong track record of designing and delivering complex R&D projects (Principal Engineer).
Queen's University Belfast is one of Northern Ireland's most dynamic and exciting employers with influential and world leading staff impacting on the world around us. We are a magnet for investment, a patron of the arts and a global player in fields ranging from cancer research to environmental sustainability.
We offer competitive salaries with incremental progression within scale, and an annual review of a cost of living increase. At Queen's we hold work life balance in the highest regard, offering 37 days annual leave and family friendly initiatives. Our generous pension of USS 21.1% employer contribution and we offer a multitude of development options tailored to help you succeed within your role with us and to support you with your career progression. As an employee you will be able to access discounted award winning sports facilities, Queen's Film Theatre and local food and beverage outlets among many others. We are immensely proud of what our University will offer you.
Informal enquiries may bedirected to David Crozier via email to firstname.lastname@example.org