Information Technology Librarian, Library and Learning Commons Department
7 days left
- Full Time
The Department of Library & Learning Commons seeks an incumbent to support library operations by maintaining Integrated Library System and associated applications; incorporating new technologies and implementing innovative solutions to enhance learning and research for the information needs of students, faculty, staff and community users of Zayed University Library.
Provides functional support and training for library faculty and staff in the operation of the library system and associated applications.
Critical Success Factors:
- Demonstrated knowledge of professional information technology applied in library and research settings.
- Knowledge of current standards in cataloging and metadata description.
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively, both independently and with a wide variety of people, staff resources and departments.
- Ability to work in a rapidly changing environment.
- Work with the Assistant Director of Technical Services to prepare the short and long-term plans, implement the technical projects in the Library, and recommend innovative initiatives and technology to enhance and expand library services.
- In collaboration with Technical Service Team, Information Technology Department, Library vendors and other business partners, to implement new library system with the agreed project outcomes delivered on time, within the set budget and in optimal use.
- Responsible for the routine system and database maintenance, coordinating the testing of upgrades and new functionalities, configuration changes and related technical tasks.
- Manage bibliographic data loads, maintain logs of system programs and database integrity.
- Develop, maintain and enhance the library web presence and discovery tool for effective search and retrieval of resources on- and off-campuses.
- Handle troubleshooting and resolve hardware, software and network problems in the Library.
- Contribute to the analysis of supporting development of library system and associated applications, and the adoption of functional changes to improve the service and workflows.
- Collaborate with Information Technology Department and business partners to ensure system/database integrity and information security assurance.
- Provide functional support and training for library faculty and staff in the operation of the library system and associated applications.
- Contribute to the on-going development of the library system by participating in user groups and forums locally, in the region and internationally.
- Engage in professional research and development.
- Perform any duties as assigned by the superiors.
- Master’s degree is a minimum requirement. Master’s in Library and Information Science from an ALA accredited program or its equivalent is desirable; Master’s in Information Technology, Information Systems Management, Computer Science or relevant combination of education and experience will also be considered.
- A minimum of 5 years of direct and relevant professional experience with Information Technology and / or library systems is required.
- Experience in providing support in an academic library environment is preferred.
- Knowledge of current library information technologies, library bibliographic standards and cataloging rules such as OpenURL, metadata, MARC and RDA.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is essential.
- Experience in system migration in academic library setting or working as system administrator, preferably in Millennium/Sierra, is desirable.
- Knowledge of Arabic is an added advantage.
The University’s benefits package is highly attractive, with competitive salaries in the U.A.E., cash housing allowance, a furniture allowance, annual vacation airline tickets for the employee and immediate family, educational subsidies for children and healthcare is provided to the employee and sponsored family members.
In addition to completing the online application form, attach a cover letter, a current CV, and the names and contact details of three professional references.
While we appreciate all applications, you will be contacted only if you are selected for an interview.