Assistant Dean, Admissions
- Full Time
Khalifa University - College of Medicine and Health Sciences
The newly-established Khalifa University of Science and Technology combines the Masdar Institute of Science and Technology (MI), Khalifa University of Science,Technology and Research (KUSTAR), and the Petroleum Institute (PI) into one world-class, research-intensive institution, seamlessly integrating research and education to produce world leaders and critical thinkers in applied science and engineering.
Reporting to the Associate Dean for Student Affairs, the Assistant Dean for Admissions at Khalifa University’s College of Medicine and Health Sciences (CMHS) supports the Associate Dean in providing administrative leadership and policy development and implementation for medical student administrative and support functions, with focus on recruitment and admissions
This role is expected to:
- Contribute to the formulation of the CMHS’s strategy, with a focus on meeting KU and CMHS strategic goals in the areas of recruitment and admission of a diverse class of medical students.
- Contribute to development of the CMHS’s policies and procedures, adhering to the overall objectives of Khalifa University, ensuring alignment to applicable regulations and standards and promoting of leading practices and educational excellence.
- Contribute to the development and management of the office budget
- Manage and mentor staff within the office
Leadership for developing and maintaining CMHS educational programs:
- Provides leadership for the CMHS Office of Student Affairs
- Supports CMHS accreditation processes and its program of continuous quality improvement
- Works with the Dean, Associate Deans and faculty to plan, develop, implement, assess and improve courses, programs and services that support the College’s missions
- Ensures that medical student programs and services conform to laws, regulations, and policies of the United Arab Emirates
Student Affairs and Admissions:
- Ensures the activities of the office are in alignment with accreditation guidelines
- In coordination with the Associate Dean for Student Affairs, manages recruitment and admissions processes to meet Khalifa University and CMHS strategic goals; provides routine reports to the Associate Dean and others as requested
- Develops and coordinates medical school recruitment activities; supports KU pre-medical programs and activities;establishes and supports pipeline programs to increase the number of qualified applicants to the CMHS
- Reviews applications to the MD program and ensures that applicants to the CMHS meet the minimum requirements necessary for admission to the CMHS
- Serves as Chair of the Admissions Committee for CMHS; provides recommendations to the Associate Dean regarding faculty appointments to the committee and member performance.
- Oversees training of admissions committee members; ensures the integrity of the admissions process by establishing policies and processes that minimize the risk for conflicts of interest
- Oversees on boarding process for accepted medical students; participates in freshman orientation
- Oversees preparation and transfer of medical student pre-medical grades and records to the registrar’s office in coordination with KU and other CMHS offices and departments, ensuring compliance with university, local, and federal laws, regulations and policies.
- Works with the Dean, Associate Deans and Khalifa University’s Office of Research Support to promote and support research activities
- Supports and mentor’s office faculty and staff who participate in research
Administrative & People Management
- In consultation with the Dean and Associate Deans, actively works with the Office of Human Resources to recruit and retain high quality faculty and staff for the Office of Student Affairs
- Manages faculty and staff (direct reports) by defining job expectations; plans, monitors, and appraises faculty and staff performance; coaches, counsels and actively participates in the departmental employees ‘on-boarding, mentoring and professional development.
- Assists in scheduling and assigning staff workload in the Office of Student Affairs.
- Provides information or prepares reports as and when needed.
- Ensures adherence to the University's information security policies and procedures, and reports breaches or other security risks accordingly.
- Ensures coordination with other departments to facilitate the accomplishment of tasks and responsibilities, as and when needed.
- Performs any other tasks assigned by the Dean and his line managers.
- Provides coaching, guidance and mentoring as required to enhance the internal capabilities of the team and ensures the achievement of established objectives and plans.
- Recommends appropriate training courses as pre-determined training needs, evaluates their effectiveness, and monitors their results.
- Carries out performance appraisals for subordinates according to planned schedules and recommends necessary actions as per applied practices.
- Conducts periodic meetings with subordinates to ensure that priorities are clear and workflow is running smoothly.
- Follows-up on employees' administrative affairs such as vacations, leaves and other administrative and related affairs.
- MD and/or PhD in a relevant field
- Qualified for faculty appointment at the rank of Assistant Professor or higher
- Prior leadership role in recruitment and admission of students to a program of higher education
- Prior leadership in student affairs and admissions
- Demonstrable accomplishments in teaching, research, healthcare delivery, and/or service at a level commensurate of Assistant Professor or above.
- Strong record reflecting excellence in education, clinical practice, research, and or administration.
- Proven management experience,requisite expertise in working collaboratively with faculty members and medicine professionals, strong interpersonal skills, and a thorough understanding of university structure and culture are essential.
- Demonstrable ethical behavior,professionalism, interpersonal skills, leadership and management abilities that are sufficient to effectively direct and develop staff and students.
- Five (5) or more years of experience in medical student recruitment and admissions
- Familiarity or experience with an education institution in the Middle East.
How To Apply
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (RecruitmentTeam@ku.ac.ae).
Apply for Assistant Dean, Admissions
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly