Associate Provost for Teaching and Learning
This role aims to promote interdisciplinary teaching and learning experience at HBKU through innovative approaches and modalities of teaching. Additionally, it ensures delivery of academic learning outcomes at academic programs, course and research-lab levels.
Key Result Areas:
- Promote excellence in the quality of teaching and learning in the university and foster an environment of continuous improvement, innovation and positive and collegial relationships.
- Lead faculty professional development opportunities to explore and implement innovative teaching approaches, including the use of educational technologies and the careful assessment of student learning outcomes at the program and course levels.
- Lead the exploration of innovative and interdisciplinary pedagogies to enhance the teaching and learning experiences of HBKU undergraduate and graduate students.
- Develop periodic reports for the assessment of innovative pedagogies.
- Develop a comprehensive plan and schedule for systematic collection of data - e.g., course and program outcomes, institutional/program graduation rate trends, impact of research per program, etc.
- Provide leadership and expertise for the development of online courses and hybrid programs.
- Develop a long-term research vision, strategy, and implementation agenda for the Provost Office.
- Guide development of data collection to assess academic performance and foster the synergies of a research university
- Contribute to and support the writing of the academic policies and guidelines as appropriate.
- Ensure best practices for managing technology-rich learning spaces via HBKU Library.
- Lead the enhancement of the learning resources both traditional and digital, including collections, web/research services, archives, and others.
- Monitor the HBKU Library financial management, contract negotiation and reporting.
- Develop faculty capabilities in the assessment skills at the course, program and institutional levels.
- Supervise the HBKU Colleges' institutional partnerships with educational institutions and local stakeholders focusing on academic joint agreements.
- Encourage and develop a college-wide culture of data sharing within HBKU and HBKU's national and international education and research partners.
- Develop and implement a professional development series for faculty focusing on interdisciplinary pedagogy and fair assessments.
- Determine assessment models that assure culturally appropriate practices at the local level while tapping best practices in the international community.
- Develop and maintain live procedures on teaching evaluations, program reviews and student learning assessments.
- Ensure that such evaluations are available for programs to be included in self-study reports in conjunction with the program review.
- Develop and maintain student academic progress tracking system.
- Develop high-level reports on time toward the scholarly and professional accomplishment, and placement of students.
- Other reasonable tasks as assigned by supervisor.
Operating Environment, Framework & Boundaries:
Frequent work is required outside of normal office hours and some international travel might be required. Must follow all relevant HBKU policies and procedures, and all regulatory/best practice requirements and protocols.
Communications and Working Relationships:
- Provost - Frequent contact to provide education assessment data and performance reports, institutional improvement plans in collaboration with senior leadership.
- Associate Provosts, VPs, & Directors (senior leadership) - Frequent contact to conduct education and operational data collection, develop data collection instruments, coordinate data analyses, and provide reports on key functions, including academic performance.
- Deans -Frequent contact to collect data for the common data set initiative.
- Senior Research Leadership - Frequent contact on data collection, program and unit assessment.
Problem Solving & Complexity:
- Proactively identifies problems that are inhibiting meeting organizational objectives.
- Encourages both individuals and teams to solve problems through empowerment and effective delegation and review mechanisms.
- Ensures the allocation of resources and invests in people and tools to optimize problem-solving and decision-making efforts.
- Removes obstacles and facilitates information flow to support effective problem-solving across the organization.
Decision Making Authority & Responsibility:
- Applies judgment to decide when to make swift decisions, even in the absence of all necessary information.
- Arrives at sound and timely decisions, based on experience and an understanding of the current business environment and projected changes.
- Considers the impact of decisions on various stakeholders and takes this into account.
- Delegates decision-making as appropriate to encourage and facilitate empowerment.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- Earned a PhD degree in a relevant field of study.
- Fifteen years of experience in higher education, with eight to 10 years in higher education leadership, including teaching and learning assessment, curriculum design processes and pedagogy evaluation and implementation.
- Extensive experience in assessment and evaluation of academic curricula, instruction and student learning in higher education, using a wide array of assessment techniques, with the ability to determine appropriate approaches to data collection, research methodology and statistical techniques.
- Hands-on experience in designing and launching online courses.
- In-depth knowledge of educational statistics and ability to use appropriate statistical software.
- Outstanding people management skills, project management skills and negotiation skills.
- Excellent writing skills - ability to draft / edit a variety of written reports and communications and articulate ideas clearly and concisely.
- Arabic proficiency preferred.
How to Apply:
Please submit your completed application (CV, cover letter and the names of three references with their full contact information) via the following link: Click here to apply
Review of applications is expected to begin soon and continue until the position is filled. Applicants on the shortlist will be called for interviews.
HBKU offers an attractive compensation package that includes a tax-free salary and additional benefits such as an education allowance, furnished accommodation, annual paid leave, air tickets and medical insurance.
HBKU, as an equal opportunity educator and employer, is committed to maintaining culturally and academically diverse staff of the highest caliber.