Stanford’s Department of Athletics, Physical Education and Recreation:
Stanford’s Department of Athletics, Physical Education and Recreation (“DAPER”) is the premier intercollegiate athletic program in the country. We are the proud Home of Champions! We lead the nation with 123 NCAA championship titles, completed an unpresented sweep of both the men’s and women’s Capital One Cups, and brought home the Learfield Director’s Cup for 25 straight years. We support nearly 900 student-athletes who compete on 36 intercollegiate athletics teams and also support the university’s physical education, recreation and wellness initiatives. Our dedicated staff embody a culture of excellence, embrace our mission of scholar-athleticism and exemplify a relentless championship spirit. Our actions and staff are guided by the core tenets of the Athletics Department culture, “The DAPER Way”, which are: Embrace Scholar-Athleticism, Pursue and Revere Excellence, Lead with Courage, and Work Cohesively.
Are you ready to inspire champions? If yes, then this may be the right opportunity for you!
This position reports to the Director of Sports Turf and will be responsible for the “day to day” readiness of the baseball and softball playing fields. This position requires the ability to perform specialized job functions specific to the baseball and softball programs including grooming and moisture management of the infield surface, construction and maintenance of pitching mounds, batter’s boxes and position areas, layout of the regulation field and ground rules areas, establishment of warning tracks and safety padding, and overall condition of dugouts, bull pens and batting cages. The Athletics Groundskeeper will work directly with the programs and to ensure daily practice set up and game day field preparations are executed to highest standards. The variability of both game times and practice schedules will require a high degree of flexibility in the daily work routine. Seasonal weekend and evening work will be required. This position is expected to act independently to apply knowledge of baseball and softball activities to properly set up for games, events, etc. Work may be reviewed during progress and/or upon completion. Attention to detail is a must have characteristic of this position.
SUMMARY OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
- Responsible for all aspects of baseball and softball daily field management (i.e. repairing pitching lanes and infield dirt conditioning, maintaining grass and infield edge, painting foul lines and pre-game drag, and batting facilities pre- and post-practice); work with grounds crew as needed for larger field renovation projects
- Check condition of grounds, playing areas, seating areas; takes steps to correct unsatisfactory conditions or reports findings to supervisor
- Prepare a variety of athletic facilities for events: for example, mow and mark fields or courts, install practice or game equipment, including track and field equipment, football P.A. systems, goals posts, yard markers, bases, basketball backstops, water polo goals, swimming lanes, volleyball nets, wrestling mats, etc.
- Clean and maintain indoor and outdoor playing surfaces such as hardwood floors, mats, cement, asphalt, grass and dirt surfaces
- Perform a variety of general building and grounds maintenance; repair or help repair grounds equipment, perform minor plumbing and electrical work, clean and repair sprinkler heads, sharpens mower blades, perform rough carpentry and painting
- Operate a variety of mobile and non-mobile equipment to mow, spray, etc.
- Water, weed, seed and trim plants and trees, seed play area
- Perform laboring duties such as moving sports or other equipment by hand, removing leaves and rubbish from playing areas, etc.
- May act as a coordinator or ground crews on an occasional basis
- Adhere to safety rules
The duties listed are designed to provide a representative sampling of key tasks and/or responsibilities associated with the job. They are not intended to be a complete list of all the duties performed by an employee in the classification.
TO BE SUCCESSFUL IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL BRING:
- One year of Physical Education grounds experience or a combination of equivalent education and experience.
- Ability to work outside in all types of outside weather conditions
- Ability to withstand extensive standing, walking, pushing and pulling
- Ability to follow job related instructions
- Ability to operate tractors with attachments and mobile and non-mobile mowing equipment
This position, along with all DAPER coaches and staff, is responsible for the integrity of Stanford’s intercollegiate athletics program and for the reputation of Stanford University. This position is responsible for insuring that his/her involvement with Athletic Department activities maintains the integrity of the University’s reputation and does not negatively impact the relationship between the University and its faculty, staff, students and alumni. Additionally, this position must comply with University policies and procedures, NCAA and PAC-12 rules and regulations.
*Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Why Stanford is for you:
Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
How to apply:
Please include a cover letter, resume, and three references submitted as a single attachment with your application. All applications must be submitted via Stanford’s Careers webpage.
Job Code: 7842
Pay Range: A19
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 7842
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: A19