Head of Procurement and Contracts, Office of Campus Infrastructure and Services
- Full Time
- Senior Management
- Bachelor Degree
Closing On 05 Jan 2020
Singapore Management University is a place where high-level professionalism blends together with a healthy informality. The 'family-like' atmosphere among the SMU community fosters a culture where employees work, plan, organise and play together – building a strong collegiality and morale within the university.
Our commitment to attract and retain talent is ongoing. We offer attractive benefits and welfare, competitive compensation packages, and generous professional development opportunities – all to meet the work-life needs of our staff. No wonder, then, that SMU continues to be given numerous awards and recognition for its human resource excellence.
- To oversee and manage commercial function for OCIS and mainly the big value procurements on Campus developments projects and the high value Capex and non-Capex procurements for Facilities Management and Services, Space Management and Leasing unit needs to ensure timely procurement and value for money.
- Oversee university wide centralised procurement items undertaken by OCIS.
- To serve in a lead role and lead the procurement team in the preparation and analysis of contracts. Work closely and collaboratively with other OCIS teams and all departments, as well as external vendors.
- Provide commercial and procurement advice to Project Managers and Users. Guide procurement team in advising the requestor concerning the acquisition of non-standard goods and services, including procurement processes and systems.
- Always seek to improve internal systems including processes and procedures for greater efficiency, maximising commercial opportunities and minimizing business exposure to commercial risk.
- Management of all commercial and procurement activities by properly assessing and controlling the commercial risks in all procurement contracts.
- Execute tactical procurement decisions and ensure purchases are made on time and at optimum prices and conditions.
- Oversee, timely process of quotations, variation orders, payment of consultants’ fees, contractors’ progress payment and settlement of final accounts.
- Must be able to perform market screening, supplier sourcing and selection. Provide price and market update to senior management.
- Supervise contractors' performances to ensure that the stipulations of the contract are being met.
- Oversee the team of contracts managers handling day-to-day Contracts Management and/or Project Management of new construction, A&A/improvement projects and Facilities Management.
- Guide contracts team to provide sound advice to project managers in contractual and costing matters, and in ensuring compliance with appropriate tendering and procurement procedures.
- Responsible in overseeing the preparation of tender documents and procurement management framework.
- Supervise tender and procurement administration of consultants and contractors through QFM and PQM tenders, as well as through quotation exercises.
- Responsible for evaluations, processes and put up recommendations for the acceptance of key items like tenders.
- Explore and implement innovative solutions and best practices on procurement and contract strategy, and related functions.
- Provide supervision in the management of resolution of contractual claims of a wide variety of projects from pre-tender to post-contract stages and implementation of cost control measures
- Lead the procurement team in properly conducting technical reviews of consultant’s proposals to ensure designs are optimal, fit-for-purpose, within the approved budget and that they meet the goals and aspirations of the university.
- Track project expenditure and timely payments against project progress to ensure project is completed within budget and on schedule.
- Lead and be responsible for timely management of Purchase Request to Purchase order/ Payment - operations.
- To be aware of legislative and regulatory issues that may be related to the contracts. Able to make appropriate contractual revisions as laws and regulations are established, changed or otherwise modified.
- Establish any improvement opportunities relating to efficiencies, providing value to stakeholders and/or reducing non-value-added process activities through review of policies, procedures and workflows.
- Must possess excellent people management skills to manage the staff, teams and in building professional relationships with trusted vendors and establishments. Must possess and demonstrate professional and high level of negotiation skills.
- Work closely with all internal stakeholders and oversee the administration of warranty matters, where needed.
- Prepare management status reports to ensure efficient execution of procurement activities.
- Oversee and manage the annual and mid-year budgeting exercise for OCIS, in a timely manner.
- Deliver procurement training and advice to fellow teammates and other internal stakeholders.
- Motivate and lead the procurement team to conduct research into new & innovative designs and to analyze the impact of new statutory requirements on projects.
- Align and contribute towards SMU’s Vision and Strategies, and OCIS’s vision and goals. Contribute actively on streamlining and digitalization of processes.
- Any other activities and scope of works as assigned by reporting officer/ Vice President - OCIS.
- Degree in Building or Quantity Surveying, Construction/Project Management, Law/Commerce or other building/facilities management related fields.
- At least 15 to 20 years of hands-on, relevant experience in the Singapore building industry, preferably in both the private and public sectors and have performed the role of a consultant or a developer/owner’s representative, or both.
- Good understanding of contracts and legal concepts.
- Commercially astute with solid grounding in a project-based environment managing multiple procurement issues across high value, high risk fast-tracks projects, and services dealing with multiple stakeholders, users, contractors/vendors and suppliers, etc.
- Extensive experience in buying goods and services for business operations, evaluate suppliers, ensure contract compliance.
- Good negotiation skills and a proven track record in achieving goals.
- Require long term strategic thinking mindset, while maintaining short term tactical support attitude for work in progress.
- Experience in projects, facilities management & contracts management, procurement methodologies and evaluation of construction cost norms.
- Ability to multi-task coupled with an eye for detail.
- Good interpersonal and communication skill (oral and written) to interact with different levels of people.
- Team player with proven influencing, analytical and collaboration skills.
- Good working attitude and willing to adapt to department culture and way of working.
- Must have good ethics and able to conduct himself or herself with honesty and pride.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, SAP, etc.
Candidates who do not possess the stipulated qualifications but have relevant work experience may still apply. Remuneration and appointment terms shall commensurate with qualifications and experience. SMU reserves the right to modify the appointment terms where necessary.