Associate Dean, Khorog
Associate Dean, Khorog
Department: School of Arts and Sciences (SAS)
Duty Station: UCA campus in Khorog, Tajikistan
Reports to: Dean of School of Arts and Sciences
Deadline: December 26, 2019
Summary of the Position
The University of Central Asia is seeking an Associate Dean to support the Dean of the School of Arts and Sciences and represent the Dean on the Khorog campus, Tajikistan. This individual will have a role at the nexus between the Dean and that of all units within the Khorog campus, including academic affairs, facility management and student affairs. Of primary importance will be overall management responsibilities to oversee the internal functions and operations of the Khorog campus. In addition to fulfilling the management responsibilities, this individual will be also responsible for carrying forth the vision and values of the University, and for assisting the Dean in activities aimed toward external constituents. Furthermore, the Associate Dean is expected to teach one course during the academic year.
Reporting to the Dean, the successful candidate will work in close collaboration with the Programme Leads and Discipline Leads, the Manager of Student Affairs, the Facilities Manager, the Associate University Librarian, the Campus and University Registrar, and the Head of Cooperative Education to provide seamless daily operations and identify the future needs to deliver excellence in the full portfolio of the School’s academic activities.
The position will provide an opportunity for a creative and exceptional individual to make a significant impact on the University in general and SAS in particular.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The main duties and responsibilities of the Associate Dean will be:
- To be responsible to the Dean for the strategic and academic leadership of learning, teaching and the student experience in the School’s undergraduate provision, and to promote and represent the faculty at University level as required;
- To support the teaching, research, and service mission of the School by discharging responsibilities in one or more areas as defined by the Dean;
- To provide leadership in defining, promoting, implementing and evaluating teaching activity in the School that is consistent with the strategic priorities of the School and the University;
- To provide leadership in educational programme development and implementation, including cross-departmental and cross-School multidisciplinary initiatives;
- To maintain liaison between undergraduate, graduate and research programmes to ensure coherence and to promote integration;
- To lead the Khorog Campus Management Team and ensure routines and robust reporting processes;
- To oversee student administration and academic advising arrangements in the faculty; establish appropriate procedures to ensure efficient and professional management of student affairs;
- To lead and monitor SAS community outreach programmes in Khorog;
- To play an active part in budgeting and marketing activities and allocation of funds for various events, activities and programmes during the academic year;
- To assist the Dean in the management of human resources, including the recruitment and selection of faculty, regular training of faculty and staff to update their knowledge and skills, faculty performance review, performance management issues and staff and faculty grievances;
- To work with the Dean on preparing the required documentation for quality assurance, and national and international accreditation;
- To serve on the University and School committees, including the Academic Council.
- To work in close collaboration with academic and operational units across the University.
Required Qualifications and Experience
The successful candidate will be expected to demonstrate evidence of the following skills, capabilities and experience:
- A PhD degree related to one of the majors taught in Khorog (Earth and Environmental Studies, Economics or Mathematics) or liberal arts and science;
- A minimum of 15 years’ experience in higher education administration, preferably in a similar or related position;
- Experience of, or strong contextual understanding of, working with(in) a new, multi-campus university;
- Understanding of the Central Asian region or other developing regions would be an asset;
- Evidence of previous performance in leadership, administration and management roles;
- Experience of reporting and communicating complex ideas and research findings clearly and concisely, in oral and written form to a variety of audiences;
- Advanced English is a requirement;
- Knowledge of Russian or a Central Asian language would be an asset.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter, CV, and contact information for three references to email@example.com by December 26, 2019. As your application e-mail subject, please write: “Associate Dean, SAS in Khorog”.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Review other job vacancies at: http://www.ucentralasia.org/About/CurrentVacancies