Associate Professor in Mechanical Engineering
NMiTE is working towards becoming a new higher education provider in Hereford. Engineering- and teaching-focussed, it will enable its future students to learn by undertaking real-world engineering and technical projects provided by employers and community groups. NMiTE hopes to break the mould in existing higher education provision – to be a disruptive game-changer in every facet of its operations and programmes. Supported by government, industry and the profession our first intake will join us as soon as we have completed the validation process. Who, what and how we teach will all be radically different to traditional engineering degrees.
We recognise that future engineers need technical knowledge, but also that creativity, problem-solving ability, and understanding of humanities, arts, business and many other areas are all required to succeed, as well as the ability to use this knowledge in current and future professional contexts. For these reasons our planned programmes will be open to all with the creativity, imagination and the determination to solve society’s challenges, not just those with A-level maths and physics. Our teaching will be in studio-based, problem-led, and deeply connected to industrial and social partners.
We are now seeking to make a key appointment in mechanical engineering or a related field in readiness to welcome our first cohort of students. The role will lead and develop the mechanics area of the curriculum in our proposed MEng in Integrated Engineering. If you are an engineer with a passion for education together with the vision and ambition to change the way engineering degrees are conceived and delivered, we would like to hear from you. We are interested in applicants from all backgrounds – industry, academia, government or elsewhere – the key requirements being the desire to communicate, engage with, mentor and educate future engineers in a novel and rapidly developing context.
Responsible to: Provost
1. Teach, mentor and assess future students in engineering subject areas, as assigned from time to time.
2. Contribute to designing, developing and planning an innovative, high quality curriculum.
3. Actively and enthusiastically use and share knowledge, skills and experiences with both students and colleagues. Enhance and encourage a collegiate atmosphere where social learning is the norm.
4. Assist in developing external relationships and partnerships to enhance the academic programme.
5. Support and contribute to future student recruitment.
6. Maintain own continuing professional development and professional standing.
7. Contribute to the process of degree validation and accreditation.
8. Support broader student experience projects, e.g. welfare, outreach, recruitment, infrastructure, etc.
9. Support the development, dissemination and promotion of the NMiTE pedagogy and approach to engineering education.
10. Actively follow and promote the vision, ethos and policies of NMiTE, including those around diversity and equal opportunities.
11. Be flexible, adaptable and willing to take on other tasks as necessary to support the entire development and delivery of NMiTE.
12. Take organisational responsibility and/or leadership roles as assigned from time to time.
13. Present and advocate for NMiTE externally
Attribute (E – Essential, D – Desirable)
Passion for education
Interest in engineering education and a desire to teach future engineer in a forward-looking, unique, start-up (E)
A desire to engage with, mentor and motivate students (E)
Experience of using and/or developing novel pedagogies (D)
Proven experience of teaching engineering at a suitable level (D)
Educational and Professional Attainment
A degree in engineering or an allied discipline (E)
Member of professional engineering body. E.g. IET, MICE, MIMechE, C.Eng (D)
PhD in a relevant discipline. (D)
A teaching qualification (school or HE) (D)
Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy (D)
Specialist knowledge in statics, dynamics, heat and mass transfer or similar fields. (E)
Knowledge of teaching and learning theory and practice, particularly in an HE context (D)
Knowledge and interests outside engineering. (D)
Working in teams (E)
Industrial, governmental, NGO etc. experience (D)
Working with students and/or pupils (D)
Creating learning strategies and plans (D)
Guiding and directing the work of Others (D)
Core interests wider than technical engineering (D)
Excellent communicator and facilitator (E)
Problem solver (E)
Creative and open to new ideas (E)
Cultural Alignment: Equality focussed, Inclusive, Respectful, Creative, Honest. Non–judgemental
We offer starting salaries in the range £40,000-£45,000 for Associate Professors. We also offer a competitive benefits package, including pension scheme, life assurance, 30 days holidays (plus bank holidays & closure days), ongoing training & development. Most importantly, NMiTE offers a once in a lifetime opportunity to be part of something new. Working at our campus in the historic city of Hereford, you will be instrumental in developing a new way of educating engineers for the 21st century. We offer you the opportunity to be the change that you want to see.
You are encouraged to contact the Provost, Professor Martin Gillie (email: firstname.lastname@example.org) to discuss the role further.
To apply, please email a full academic CV and a two-minute video to email@example.com explaining why you want the role and why you should get it.
Whilst all applicants will be judged on merit alone, we particularly welcome applications from groups currently underrepresented in engineering education.
The opening date for applications is Friday 29th November 2019. The closing date for completed applications is Friday 10th January 2020. Interviews are likely to be held on the 21st January 2020