Research Associate (Limited Term)- 1 Year Term
Faculty / Division: Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering
Department : Chemical Engineering & Applied Chemistry
Campus : St. George (downtown Toronto)
BioZone (https://www.biozone.utoronto.ca) is a centre for applied bioscience and bioengineering research at the University of Toronto with a track record of developing sustainable technologies that reduce resource-use and help to clean up the environment. Its multi-disciplinary expertise includes industrial and environmental biology, enzymology, bioinformatics, synthetic biology, systems biology, structural biology, modeling, and data analysis. Shared laboratory facilities within BioZone house state-of-the-art equipment for bioprocesses, protein characterization, fermentation, tissue engineering, anaerobic digestion and bioremediation.
A Research Associate position in the area of metabolic engineering, synthetic biology and enzyme engineering is available in Prof. Mahadevan’s group (http://lmse.utoronto.ca) located at the BioZone Centre in the Department of Chemical Engineering and Applied Chemistry, University of Toronto. This position is part of a collaborative, interdisciplinary research project with Industry involving active collaboration with microbiologists, biochemists and engineers.
Qualifications : Education:
Ph.D. in microbiology, biochemistry, biochemical engineering or related discipline.
At least 2 years of postdoctoral or industrial experience and a strong publication record. Candidates with demonstrated experience in any of enzymology, fungal genetics, protein engineering, synthetic biology, metabolic engineering and fermentation are encouraged to apply. Expertise in CRISPR-Cas system; yeast fermentation and physiology; metabolic modeling and flux analysis; media and bioprocess optimization and scale-up are strong assets. Experience providing direction to junior researchers and trainees is an asset. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter, with strong organizational and problem-solving skills, and demonstrate the ability to work independently but also have strong interpersonal and communication skills to be team player in a multi-disciplinary environment.
- Designing, planning and executing research projects independently.
- Co-ordinating research efforts with collaborators and their teams.
- Preparing manuscripts for submission to peer-reviewed publications/journals.
- Presenting findings to research peers and collaborators.
- Maintain proper documentation of all relevant data and analysis (electronic lab notebooks, reports, etc.).
- All interested applicants must include in their online application their CV along with 2 references.
- The initial appointment term is one year with the possibility of renewal.
- All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Employee Group: Research Associate, Limited Term
Appointment Type: Grant - Term
Schedule : Full-time
Pay Scale Group and Hiring Rate: R01 -- Research Associates (Limited Term): $45,491 - $85,295 Job Field : Research Associate (Limited Term) Job Closing : Dec 15, 2019, 4:59:00 AM