Assist/Assoc/Full Professor in Law
Hamad Bin Khalifa University (HBKU), a member of Qatar Foundation for Education, Science, and Community Development (QF), was founded in 2010 to continue fulfilling QF’s vision of unlocking human potential. HBKU is an emerging research University that acts as a catalyst for positive change in Qatar and the region while having global impact.
HBKU’s College of Law is a world-class provider of legal education with an international reputation for quality and innovation in teaching and research.
Owing to its position at a global crossroads in terms of culture, business and geopolitics, Qatar is at the heart of a region that requires leaders who can manage multi-faceted relationships that span different legal systems and who have a command of a wide range of skills. HBKU College of Law addresses this need by offering training to graduate students from a range of disciplines in the skills needed to understand the diverse legal systems – civil, common, and Shari’a – that inform Qatari law and govern complex events and transactions, both in the region and throughout the globe. HBKU College of Law’s Juris Doctor (JD) program is the first graduate law degree program of its kind in the MENA region.
Building on the expertise of its faculty and the specific needs of the region and beyond, in 2019, HBKU College of Law initiated two new programs: LLM in International Economic and Business Law and the LLM in International Law and Foreign Affairs. In 2020, HBKU College of Law will launch the Doctor of Juridical Science (SJD) degree. The LLM and SJD programs are in line with HBKU’s research mission.
HBKU College of Law invites applications for faculty positions starting year 2020. Candidates will be appointed Full, Associate or Assistant Professorships, depending on qualifications, teaching, and research experience. Successful candidates would teach in the JD, LLM and SJD programs; all courses are offered in English.
Required Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- PhD or terminal degree from an accredited university as required for teaching in certain fields.
- Evidence of proficiency in teaching, student supervision, and curriculum and program development.
- Research and scholarly achievements judged competent and adequate for the relevant rank in comparison with peers active in the same field at a major research university.
- Significant national, regional, and international reputation in scholarly endeavors (funded research grants, publications, IP/patents, etc.) in comparison with peers active in the same field at a major research university.
- Ability to work with and lead diverse groups, cultures and communities.
- Evidence of significant national, regional, and international networks and collaborations in both teaching and research activities.
- Arabic proficiency is an advantage.
Other Required Qualifications:
HBKU College of Law invites candidates across all areas of law, and is especially interested in candidates with expertise in the following:
- Commercial and Corporate Law
- Research Methods in Law with a focus on Law & Economics and (Empirical) Social Science Methods
- Banking and Financial Law
- Patent Law
- Employment Law
- Civil Procedure
The candidate would be expected to teach both introductory and specialized courses, and to participate in the intellectual life of a talented, vibrant and unique legal community. Candidates should have a superior academic record with demonstrable evidence of, or a strong potential for, excellence and innovation in teaching, scholarly research and service.
How to apply:
Candidates should submit their complete application that includes: a cover letter, curriculum vitae, teaching statement (no more than one page), research statement (no more than four pages), and names of thee references (who will not be contacted without consent of the applicant) on the following link: Click here to apply.
Review of applications is expected to begin on December 15, 2019, and continue until the positions are filled. Interviews will be held from January 2020.
HBKU offers an attractive compensation package that includes a tax-free salary and additional benefits such as housing and transportation allowance, children education assistance, annual paid leave, airfares, medical insurance etc.
HBKU is an equal opportunity educator and employer. We are committed to maintaining culturally and academically diverse staff of the highest caliber.