Senior Network Engineer
- Full Time
Location: London Liverpool Street
Closing date: 21/11/2019
Employment type: Permanent
Department: Group IT - IT Operations
The Senior Network Engineer will become an integral part of the BPP IT Infrastructure Team supporting day-to-day business-as-usual operations and current and future infrastructure project initiatives, domestically and internationally.
The Senior Network Engineer will define, implement, uphold and maintain Network standards, safeguarding the enterprise infrastructure and resources supporting business requirements at campus locations and the data centre.
The Senior Network Engineer Role is a third line role and as such is the highest point of internal escalation responsible for acting on all technical requests, projects, and strategic initiatives, for technologies related to this role. Additional responsibilities include routine contact with appropriate IT and non-IT personnel from the BPP al group of companies. As needed, individual will act as expert level resource on reported incidents in the client environment including mentoring and the training of IT Operations Centre (ITOC), the IT Security Operations Centre (ISOC) and internal IT staff.
- To lead/facilitate meetings and conduct presentations to technical and business staff.
- To communicate technical concepts and proposals into understandable and justifiable business initiatives.
- To participate in the definition of specific technical design, product selection, device standardization.
- To proactively implement, update, maintain, manage, monitor, and support enterprise network and systems infrastructure.
- To perform change control and device configuration management activities on all network systems.
- To help lead network architecture and design initiatives with full documentation to ensure consistency, accuracy and supportability.
- Maintains technical overview of client environment. This includes (but is not limited to) incident / problem tracking, and ensuring junior engineers maintain delegated tasks in kind by mentoring and both technically and professionally. Researches problem information to proactively identify trends and potential sources of new problems while preventing the replication of issues within the environment. Acts as SME for escalated issues and questions from ITOC, ISOC and BPP IT Team members.
- Through continuous review, ensures all open incidents for BPP are being worked to resolution; escalates any aged issues to management as needed displaying a sense of ownership and accountability. Works with clients to understand the business needs of clients to create solutions to fit their needs.
- Primary driver for development and delivery of project / BAU activity within the environments, ensuring resourcing and project management needs are met via delegation and guidance of peers, other members of the IT team, ITOC and ISOC.
- Functions as the highest level point of contact in receiving client requests for resolution. Takes ownership of call and employs established automated and manual processes to ensure a complete, expedient and high quality resolution to client service requests.
- Provides technical and procedural support to ITOC, ISOC and IT team members via request or by initiating consultation in high volume situations.
- Provides research and documentation on major incidents and problems, developing complete documentation on impact and root cause of issues.
- Assists in the development of standard operating processes, procedures and policies in a dynamically changing business environment that will result in high quality and cost effective client service.
- Assists in onboarding process as required.
- Assists management in developing/delivering training programs for the IT Team and Service Desk staff, including the population of knowledge-based systems (IT 360) with problem resolution tips and best practices.
- Responsible for maintaining and improving department performance through mentoring of personnel. Involvement in long-term planning, continual process improvement initiatives.
- To evaluate and anticipate the impact of technical solutions related to assigned projects.
- Authors and/or participates in the creation of technology documents and white papers that address and communicate domain specific architecture and design, concepts, and strategic direction.
- To provide consultation to developers, architects, engineers and business stakeholders.
- To define performance requirements for technology solutions.
- To support the Network Security engineer
- To identify, analyse and enhance technical designs to address potential performance issues. To perform scalability and sizing assessments.
- Project Manage Network related projects and work packages ensuring delivery in a controlled and timely manner whether as a Network specific project or as part of other IT initiatives and service improvements.
For the role requirements, please refer to the full job description.