Postdoctoral Research Associate
- Opportunity to be apart of an ARC funded research project, working closely with Professor Bart Anderson
- Located at our CBD Campus, Camperdown. Join the School of Psychology!
- Full-time, 12-month fixed term contract. Base salary: $94k-$101k p.a. (Level A6+) plus annual leave loading and a generous employer’s contribution to superannuation.
About the opportunity
The University of Sydney is welcoming applications for a Postdoctoral Research Associate to work on an ARC funded project on problems of material and surface perception with Professor Bart Anderson, with opportunities for collaboration with Professor Ko Nishino at Kyoto University. The goal of the project is to understand the perception of shape and material properties of natural objects and substances. We are particularly interested in understanding how shape constrains our perception of material qualities and vice versa. The primary responsibilities include experimental design, programming of graphical displays, data analysis, and writing scientific manuscripts. We are also strongly interested in using the experimental results to develop computational models that capture the psychophysical results; applicants with sufficiently strong computational skills will have opportunities to develop these ideas with Prof. Ko Nishino.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a Postdoctoral Research Associate who possesses experience in the following areas:
- A PhD in vision science, psychology, neuroscience, or computer science (or another closely-related field)
- Demonstrated ability to conduct research/scholarly activities under limited supervision either independently or as a member of a team
- Demonstrated experience and understanding of psychophysical experimentation
- Clear data analysis skills, abilities in experimental design and record keeping of research papers.
- Demonstrated experience with graphical rendering of realistic surfaces and scene
- Have previously published research as a sole author or in collaboration
For more information about the project with Prof Bart and Prof Ko, please contact Professor Barton Anderson on email@example.com.
The University of Sydney has led to improve the world around us. We believe in education for all and that effective leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion and underpin our long-term strategy for growth. We’re Australia's first university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across our campuses, we employ over 6000 academic and non-academic staff who support over 60,000 students.
How to apply
For more information on the position and University, please view the position description available from the job’s listing on the University of Sydney careers website.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number 2278/1019F to apply.
Routine pre-employment probity checks will be carried out for this position.
Closing date: 11:30pm, Sunday 29 December 2019 (Sydney Time)
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.