Head of Academic Audit
Location: London Liverpool Street
Closing date: 27/11/2019
Employment type: Permanent
Department: Academic Services
The Head of Academic Audit will support the Dean in maintaining academic quality by providing intelligence on the implementation of internal policies and procedures and how the University is meeting external academic regulatory requirements. The Head of Academic Audit will do this by undertaking audit work either directly or through the use of internal staff or through the use of external consultants, and reporting to the Dean. The Head of Academic Audit will also maintain an academic risk register.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
In this role, the Head of Academic audit shall:
- Propose an academic audit timetable for the year to the Dean.
- Commission appropriate academic audits either working directly, or through the use of internal staff as consultants or through the use of external consultants or a combination, as appropriate.
- Ensure that academic audit reports draw evidence-based conclusions and make appropriate recommendations on University policy and procedure.
- Support the academic quality team and operational teams, as appropriate, in the implementation of recommendations.
- Follow-up on progress towards meeting recommendations in academic audit reports.
- Maintain an academic risk register and assist the Senior Leadership Team in providing assurance to the Board on the management of risk.
- Develop an external networks of peers and ensure the BPP Education Group benefits from this.
- Represent the University at external events and conferences.
- Undertake such other tasks and duties as may be required from time to time by the Dean.
Skills, knowledge and experience required
- A good first degree, or equivalent qualification.
- Current experience of academic policies and procedures in a UKHEI and of the QAA Code.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability confidently to conduct meetings and interviews with staff and students.
- Strong written skills and the ability to write succinct reports which clearly articulate issues and recommendations.
- Strong numeracy skills and the ability to interpret statistics.
- The ability to work to tight timeframes and to meet deadlines.
- Strong administrative skills and the ability to manage several audits at once.
- An interest in broader HEI regulatory landscape, including those of professional bodies.
- Creative and able to use technology appropriately to support audit activity.
- Self-motivated and target focussed.
- A professional qualification or other qualification at Level 7 or above.
- An understanding of one or more of the frameworks for quality assurance in education from OfS, Ofsted, ESFA, NMC, SRA, BSB, Tier 4, HESA, etc.
- Previous experience of academic audit, or analogous work (e.g. a QAA reviewer).