Visa Compliance Officer
Location: London Shepherds Bush
Closing date: 28/11/2019
Employment type: Permanent
Department: International - International Visa Compliance
This International Office post will focus on the operational aspects of complying with BPP’s sponsor duties under Tier 4 of the Points Based System.
The successful candidate will work closely with colleagues across the university to develop, implement and review processes aimed at ensuring BPP University complies fully with our Tier 4 sponsor duties and therefore is eligible to retain Tier 4 Sponsor status.
It will also be necessary for the post holder to liaise regularly with students and maintain up to date records for all of BPPs registered Tier 4 students.
Candidates will be expected to have good communication and interpersonal skills and knowledge of UK immigration regulations. Experience of the UK HP education sector and working in a customer service environment will be an advantage.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
The key duties outlined below apply in general but each individual post will have responsibility for a defined group of students. You will be responsible for the following:
- To work closely with the International Recruitment and Admissions teams to provide advice on the immigration requirements that an individual applicant must meet in order to register at BPP University.
- To provide basic immigration advice to prospective Tier 4 students and those registered at BPP, as they progress through the application / CAS request process.
- To check all CAS requests and the corresponding documents thoroughly to ensure that only genuine students who meet the requirements of Tier 4 are issued with a CAS.
- To work closely with the Head of Visa Compliance to ensure that all CASs are assigned correctly and within agreed deadlines.
- To track the lifecycle of each CAS issued and submit reports to the UKVI in accordance with the Tier 4 Sponsor Guidance. This will require communication with all students who have been issued a CAS in order to obtain regular updates on the progress of their Tier 4 application, copies of all refusal notices or a copy of the Tier 4 visa, once granted.
- To work closely with the Student Records team to ensure that only students with valid immigration permission allowing them to study with us are allowed to register on a course at BPP University.
- To provide the Schools with accurate up-to-date lists of all registered Tier 4 students at each intake, and at other points throughout the year as appropriate.
- To work closely with colleagues across BPP University as part of our process to monitor the attendance of all registered Tier 4 students, and retain an up-to-date summary of attendance levels for these students including details of any approved absences.
- To flag up to the Head of Visa Compliance all students who are “at risk” of failing to meet their attendance requirements under Tier 4 and to agree appropriate action that should be taken in each case. This will require follow up contact with the students and in some cases, refer the students on for additional academic and general student support.
- To communicate regularly with registered Tier 4 students at BPP University to ensure that our student records are updated to reflect any changes in circumstances, such as a change of contact details or immigration status and where necessary obtain evidence to confirm the student’s departure from the UK.
- To contact all Tier 4 registered students in advance of their visa expiry date and provide basic immigration advice to each according to their situation.
- To liaise with key external stakeholders as required, in particular the UK Visa and Immigration.
- To contribute to the development and update of immigration related information for prospective international students provided via the university websites and in printed publications, as required.
- The above constitutes the major activities but is not a comprehensive or exclusive list of the duties required and all members of staff are expected to work as part of the Compliance team. The Head of Registry Operations and or Head of Visa Compliance may vary the duties from time to time, which reflect BPP’s priorities but do not change the general character of the job or the level of responsibility entailed.
Additional Responsibilities Applicable to the Post Holder
- Undertake any other reasonable duties as required commensurate with the grade of the position.
- Adhere and comply with the provisions of the Health and Safety at Work Act and in accordance to the University’s policy on Health and Safety.
- Undertake all duties and responsibilities in compliance with the rules and regulations encompassing equal opportunities.
- Adhere, comply and work in accordance with University and Departmental policies, procedures and codes of conduct.
Skills, knowledge, EXPERIENCE required for ROLE
- Knowledge of Home Office procedures and SMS system
- Knowledge of the Higher Education Provider and the challenges surrounding this
- Knowledge of the Immigration Rules and the ability to interpret complex rules and regulations
- Administrative experience, preferably in the education sector
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and Access
- Outstanding customer service skills
- Strong organisational skills with the ability to successfully multi-task
- Maintaining records systems
- A pro active team player
- Self-motivated with an ability to thrive under pressure
- Customer-focused with the ability to communicate at all levels with internal and external stakeholders
- Ideally educated to degree-level, however applications from candidates with appropriate and relevant work experience or other equivalent qualifications will also be considered.
- Database management knowledge
- Customer facing experience
- Knowledge of a recognised Student Records Database is advantageous