Senior Practicum Manager, Analytics, School of Information Systems
Singapore Management University is a place where high-level professionalism blends together with a healthy informality. The 'family-like' atmosphere among the SMU community fosters a culture where employees work, plan, organise and play together – building a strong collegiality and morale within the university. Our commitment to attract and retain talent is ongoing. We offer attractive benefits and welfare, competitive compensation packages, and generous professional development opportunities – all to meet the work-life needs of our staff. No wonder, then, that SMU continues to be given numerous awards and recognition for its human resource excellence.
Industry Liaison Role
- Liaise/coordinate/collaborate with industry partners that have analytics teams and service partners (e.g. SAS, IBM, Tableau);
- Leverage on the practicum manager’s role to feedback to the Master of IT in Business (MITB) Program Office to ensure program curriculum stays relevant with the new trends and changes, and new skills required;
- Work closely with Industry partners to get real cases to support curriculum development, and to work with faculty members to convert these cases into lab exercises1;
- Work closely with industry partners to secure sponsorship for internships, projects and seminars/ conferences, prizes and scholarships;
Internship placement and monitoring role
- Ensure that internships are appropriate in terms of job scope and skills sets required are matched with that of our students’.
- Coach students in finding internships which match their learning objectives and monitor the placement process.
- Visit students and monitor their weekly journals during their internships as a way of providing support to the student and also establish deeper relationships with the industry partners and understand their roadmap.
- Investigate any complains or difficulties encountered by students and/or sponsoring organizations and ensure that appropriate action(s) are taken.
- Plan and manage MITB-Analytics track (AT) ~6 monthly seminars per year and ad-hoc industry meeting/conference.
- Liaise with industry for speakers and topics that are relevant to the program.
- Work with the MITB team and faculty members to oversee capstone projects to ensure completion with high quality.
Other Supporting Roles
- (Instructor, marketing, research and administrative)
- Assist in marketing activities (e.g. information/coffee sessions/masterclass/overseas trips/ interview MITB candidates for admissions) when needed.
- Support MITB-AT initiated research (e.g. industry trends, security) and projects.
- Provide inputs for submissions/papers and perform other administrative roles.
- Minimum Master Degree preferred in disciplines such as IT/IS/CS, Engineering or other related technical fields.
- At least 5 years of industry experience in Data Analytics and Analytics problem solving.
- Statistical modeling data management and data mining skills preferred.
- Good understanding of the needs of an educational program in an Institute of Higher Learning.
- Has good industry network and the ability to interact with industry and manage relationship and its expectations.
- An appreciation for different fields and domains in order to facilitate cross-disciplinary application/research of technology.
- Ability to coach students through their experiences and expectations.
- Able to work independently, propose new ideas and implementation of ideas on new initiatives related to curriculum, industry and marketing.
- Good understanding of the following software preferred: SAS, Excel, Python, R, Hadoop, Excel Passionate and highly motivated to deliver high-quality results.
- Able to work independently.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks with shifting priorities.
- Enjoy interacting with people.
- Willingness to travel for recruitment trips, work flexible hours, sometimes on late evenings or on some weekends
Candidates who do not possess the stipulated educational requirements and/or work experience may be considered. If successful in their job application, they will be offered a job title and salary package commensurate with their educational qualifications and work experience