Assistant Director, Office of Advancement
Singapore Management University is a place where high-level professionalism blends together with a healthy informality. The 'family-like' atmosphere among the SMU community fosters a culture where employees work, plan, organise and play together – building a strong collegiality and morale within the university. Our commitment to attract and retain talent is ongoing. We offer attractive benefits and welfare, competitive compensation packages, and generous professional development opportunities – all to meet the work-life needs of our staff. No wonder, then, that SMU continues to be given numerous awards and recognition for its human resource excellence.
- Plan, develop and implement active and effective strategies to meet fundraising goals for the university
- Work to develop campus-wide gift opportunities and create proposals, which seek to match the interests of numerous donors, including individuals, corporations and foundations, with the needs of the University to maximise long term value
- Interact with business and community leaders to seek the involvement of increasing the number of individuals in programmes that provide financial and volunteer support for the University.
- Strategically advance the University’s most important relationships Take on responsibilities for existing donors to strengthen relationships for cultivation and stewardship purposes.
- Work with the stewardship team to ensure that donors’ communications are timely and relevant
- Work closely with the university administrators and academics, obtaining their support while managing expectations and relationships
- Foster a spirit of collegiality and distributed ownership of success
- Bachelor or Master degree with at least 10 years of work experience of demonstrated outstanding performance in fundraising, complex CRM, communications environment
- Proven track record in development, communications or other relationship-based business discipline
- Track record in participating personally in high-level negotiations with a positive and resilient manner with the ability to work under pressure
- Knowledge of fundraising principles, techniques and ethics
- Knowledge of major sources of wealth within Singapore and throughout Asia
- Ability to converse proficiently in Mandarin will be valued
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to motivate and interact effectively with academic leaders, faculty, donors, civic leaders, volunteers and staff at all levels, with a strong work ethic
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal and must be a good listener
- Articulate and persuasive presenter to large and small groups, possess sound judgement and strong professional presence, as well as a collegial work style that promotes teamwork, creativity and open communication
- Ability to understand and effectively articulate the mission and goals of SMU with enthusiasm and energy, to compel others to action
- Passion for higher education and the non-profit sector is highly desirable
Candidates who do not possess the stipulated qualifications but have relevant work experience may still apply. Remuneration and appointment terms shall commensurate with qualifications and experience. SMU reserves the right to modify the appointment terms where necessary.