Lecturer in Language and Literacy
Work type: Continuing
Division/Faculty: Melbourne Graduate School of Education
Salary: $102,967 - $122,268 (Level B)
Role & Superannuation rate: Academic - Full time - 17% super
About the Melbourne Graduate School of Education
The Melbourne Graduate School of Education is a global leader in teaching and education research, offering challenging courses, world-changing research and contemporary learning spaces.
About the role
The Lecturer in Language & Literacy Education position will be at the forefront of additional languages education in Australia. This position will make effective contributions to teaching and learning, research and scholarship, engagement, leadership and service within the MGSE Language and Literacy Education (LALE) Cognate Group.
The Lecturer in Language & Literacy Education is responsible for teaching at both the undergraduate and graduate levels and advancing knowledge and practice in TESOL and your contributions will intersect with cognate fields, including mother tongue, bilingual, and modern languages education. This position will be involved with subject development (including the development of online pedagogies) and subject coordination, as required.
As the successful applicant, you will:
- Contribute to teaching in additional languages education in the field of teacher education and professional learning which include but are not limited to:
- second language teaching methodology,
- grammar for language teachers,
- second language assessment,
- second language acquisition, and
- second language curriculum;
- Contribute to the development, review, and evaluation of relevant subjects and curriculum;
- Contribute to the research performance of the MGSE through high-quality publications and the ability to attract research funding; and
- Contribute to the community, such as through involvement in professional associations and/or the provision of professional development or other such activities.
Applicants with any of the following experience or skills are especially encouraged to apply:
- Recent, sustained professional experience in schooling across F-12 and/or adult sectors;
- An ability to contribute to the MGSE’s wider academic programs of the through participation in research, accessing research funding, and consultancy opportunities;
- An ability to contribute to MGSE’s specialisms in additional languages education, including Content and Language Integrated Learning and Chinese language education.
- Maximise your benefits through our Salary Packaging scheme;
- Flexible family friendly policies, providing generous leave and working conditions;
- Working for one of Australia's top Universities;
- Growing your expertise and innovative thinking in an environment that leaves an impact; and
- The opportunity to work in a culturally rich environment.
To find out more, go to http://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/working/benefits
The University is a vibrant campus. We have well established clubs and networks giving the opportunity to engage and collaborate with other staff around the University. We strive to create an environment where staff and students promote culturally inclusive behaviour and activities, ensure cultural differences are heard and explored, and actively seek to learn from other cultures.
How to apply
Your complete application will include a Cover Letter, address of the Selection Criteria and your CV.
For information to assist you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria, please go to: https://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/selection-criteria
To ensure the University provides a safe environment for children, this position requires the incumbent to hold a current and valid Working with Children Check.
Applications close: 09 Dec 2019 11:55 PM AUS Eastern Daylight Time