Lecturer in Chemistry, Organic Synthesis
Faculty of Science
School of Environmental and Life Sciences
At the University of Newcastle, our staff are curious. We think big, see opportunity and are open to ideas and ask why. We share wisdom and partner with colleagues in Australia and around the globe to create an enduring impact. And we're courageous - bold thinkers who have the confidence to take risks and to inspire change.
The University has an international reputation for research excellence and we continue to build on our research strengths, engagement with industry and partnering with outstanding international universities. Our commitment to the Student Experience and positive outcomes for graduates is fundamental to all aspects of our learning and teaching. Located on the leafy Callaghan campus where you can find open spaces and great coffee.
Your NEW opportunity
The University of Newcastle Faculty of Science is a world-class centre for scientific and technology research and innovation contributing to a growing STEMM collaboration within the University. The School of Environmental and Life Sciences (SELS) is the Faculty’s largest School, offering a wide range of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Applied Sciences, Biological Sciences, Biotechnology, Chemistry, Development Studies, Earth Sciences, Exercise and Sports Science, Food and Nutrition, and Environmental Science and Management. The School maintains numerous internationally significant research activities with substantial numbers of research higher degree students, as well as excellent research facilities. The Discipline of Chemistry within the School is committed to producing quality research and delivering excellence in teaching and learning. While the Discipline primarily offers courses for the Bachelor of Science, they also provide some service teaching for other degree programs. Research in the Discipline of Chemistry falls into four broad categories: organic and medicinal chemistry, materials chemistry, surfaces and interfaces and computational chemistry.
About your NEW role
The School of Environmental & Life Sciences is seeking to appoint a lecturer with teaching and research expertise in computational organic chemistry and organic synthesis or medicinal chemistry. Current areas of research strength within the Discipline of Chemistry include molecular organic synthesis, computational chemistry, chemical biology, advanced materials and drug design. The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Establish and sustain a research program that is complementary to existing research strengths;
- Contribute to undergraduate chemistry teaching and assist with curriculum development and course coordination duties; and
- Contribution to School, Faculty and University service are also an expectation of the position.
You will have a PhD in synthetic organic chemistry or computational organic chemistry or medicinal chemistry and the ability to develop and deliver undergraduate chemistry courses. You will have an innovative approach to teaching and genuine interest in being an active member of the school. Additionally you will have:
- Demonstrated capacity to undertake and publish quality research and articulate a clear vision for the development of an innovative and successful research future.
- Demonstrated potential to supervise student research at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
- Demonstrated potential to secure external grant funding.
- Willingness and ability to contribute to outreach activities and School and Discipline governance including course coordination.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in both teaching and research.
For a full job description visit https://www.newcastle.edu.au/about-uon/jobs-at-uon/job-vacancies
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander applicants are encouraged to apply.
Your NEW benefits
From a flexible working environment to discounts in private health insurance and gym memberships, we offer access to a wide range of employee benefits including salary packaging. You can learn more about these at https://www.newcastle.edu.au/about-uon/jobs-at-uon/benefits-at-a-glance
We provide opportunities for all people regardless of their background and experience, and this philosophy is reflected across all that we do.
The remuneration is from $99,213- $117,817 and 17% super and is commensurate with experience.
Click on 'Apply for this job'. Your application will be assessed on selection criteria. Read all information about the role so you understand what is required. In addition:
- Follow all directions and complete all necessary fields of the application; and
- In your selection criteria demonstrate clearly how your skills and experience meet each point and should be a maximum of four pages.
Closing Date: Sunday 8th December 2019