Professor and Department Chair, Health Science and Biostatistics
- Key leadership position in the Health Science and Biostatistics Department at Swinburne
- Full time, fixed term position at our Hawthorn campus
- Academic Level D/E $141,915 - $182,272 + 17% superannuation + up to 10% loading
Develop and implement strategies aligned with the School of Health Science and the University’s strategic direction to be Australia’s leading University in Health Science and Biostatistics.
About the Job
At Swinburne’s School of Health Science, we are pleased to invite applications for a senior role in the school, in which you will form part of the School of Health Science executive team. The Department Chair will lead and manage their Academic Department, contributing to the strategic development of the Department’s academic offerings, research profile, student experience and external engagement in line with the priorities established in the School and Faculty.
The Department Chair will play a key role in developing and fostering opportunities for collaboration and partnerships among other university disciplines/departments, research centres and with external entities. Furthermore as Chair there is an expectation to undertake and lead original research of high impact with a strong clinical and translational focus. Clinical placement and other work integrated learning are essential to the successful implementation of the expanding health areas within the department.
We encourage applicants who identify as a team orientated individual with a strong research and teaching track record and a demonstrated ability to initiate and manage internal and external relationships, such as those with international, industry and government entities, to apply.
The Role of Department Chair is for a period of three years, which will be annually reviewed and may be renewed after three years, if mutually agreed. The role of Department Chair comes with a salary loading of 10%.
This appointment of Department Chair is underpinned by an ongoing, substantive Professorial position at Level D/E.
About Swinburne University of Technology
Swinburne is a multi-sector university of science, technology and innovation with more than 54,000 students and 5,000 staff globally. We offer postgraduate, undergraduate, vocational education and online education to provide students with a variety of work-relevant pathways. Our mission is to be a world-class university, creating economic and social impact through science, technology and innovation. We aim to deliver future-ready learners, research with impact and innovative enterprise.
Swinburne is also among the world’s top 450 universities under the 2019 Times Higher Education World University Rankings and in the top 400 in the 2019 QS World University Rankings, placing us in the top three per cent of universities worldwide. Swinburne was also ranked number 45 in the 2019 Top 50 Under 50 list, an index of the world's top universities under 50 years old. Within Australia, the Good Universities Guide awarded Swinburne a 5-Star Overall Experience Rating and a 5-Star Staff to Student Ratio rating.
Be the innovator in the face of technological and social change with Swinburne’s Faculty of Health, Arts and Design. Leading edge research centres, strong ties to industry and commitment to high-quality, high-impact research allows you to understand humanity deeply, bring the real world to focus and make your mark.
To be successful in the role, you will have:
- A PhD qualification or equivalent in a discipline relevant to the Department
- Demonstrated ability to both lead, manage and be an effective team contributor for the development of new courses in the relevant disciplines and inspire staff to deliver innovative course design in a multi-disciplinary setting
- Effective strategic, analytical and conceptual skills, together with the ability to contribute to devising and implementing strategic plans in a complex organisational environment
- Demonstrated high level of interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to liaise with a wide variety of academics, work within a consultative, team environment in multi-disciplinary contexts, including an ability to work effectively with senior external members of the Faculty, University and relevant professions in industry and government
A full list of selection criteria is available within the position description.
- Flexible working arrangements
- Participate in regular staff and management development programs
- Paid parental leave for primary caregivers and secondary caregivers
- Discounted gym memberships – including Hawthorn Aquatic and Leisure Centre (HALC)
To find out more about the extensive range of benefits offered to Swinburne employees please visit Employee Benefits
How to apply and further information
Please submit your application by clicking on the ‘Begin’ link, and submit a resume, cover letter and a response to the Key Selection Criteria, as listed in the position description. For further information about this position please contact Bruce Thompson, Dean, and Professor School of Health Sciences via email email@example.com
Should you require further support for an interview due to special needs or consideration, please contact our Diversity Consultant, Dr Walter Robles, on firstname.lastname@example.org. For support or queries related to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander employment, please contact DeadlyCareers@swin.edu.au
If you are experiencing technical difficulties with your application, please contact the Recruitment team on email@example.com
Agency enquiries will not be accepted for this position.
Swinburne is a large and culturally diverse organisation. We are proud to be recognised by the Workplace Gender Equality Agency as an Employer of Choice for women for 10 years in a row and of key initiatives such as our Pride@Swinburne Strategic Action Plan and our Reconciliation Action Plan. Equity and diversity are integral to our 2025 vision to be a world class university creating social and economic impact through science, technology and innovation.
Applications close at 5 pm on Tuesday 3rd December 2019.