Research Assistant Professor in Building Energy/Building Environment/Building Safety & Resilience
THE HONG KONG POLYTECHNIC UNIVERSITY
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU) is a government-funded tertiary institution in Hong Kong. It offers programmes at various levels including Doctorate, Master’s, and Bachelor’s degrees. It has a full-time academic staff strength of around 1,400. The total annual consolidated expenditure budget of the University is in excess of HK$7.4 billion.
DEPARTMENT OF BUILDING SERVICES ENGINEERING
Research Assistant Professor in Building Energy / Building Environment / Building Safety and Resilience (several posts) (Ref. 19110410)
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU) is one of the world’s leading institutions of Higher Education and provides exceptional research, teaching and living environments in one of the world’s greatest cities. The Department of Building Services Engineering (BSE) contributes to PolyU’s world ranking of 20th in QS 2019 in the subject area of Architecture and Built Environment and 15th in the subject area of Civil and Structural Engineering. BSE is one of the constituent departments of the Faculty of Construction and Environment, and offers a full range of programmes leading to the awards of Doctor of Philosophy, Master of Philosophy, Master of Engineering, Master of Science, Bachelor of Engineering and Higher Diploma. Currently there are 39 research staff and 86 research students (82 studying for PhD), over 350 full-time/part-time Master’s students, an undergraduate student body of over 300 full-time students, and a sub-degree student body of over 100 full-time students. BSE currently has 24 full-time academic/teaching staff members engaging in a wide range of research activities organized in the following three themes:
Building Energy: Energy issues in buildings addressed in the context of both demand and supply to improve sustainability of the built environment.
Building Environment: Optimisation of buildings and built environments for thermal comfort, indoor air quality, visual/spatial and vibration/acoustic aspects to improve occupant health and productivity.
Building Safety and Resilience: Protection of building occupants from hazards such as fire and lightning to improve safety and resilience of communities, buildings and built environments.
The University and the Department strongly encourage a multi-cultural environment regarding both the staff and student body composition. Please visit the website at http://www.bse.polyu.edu.hk for further information about the Department.
The Department is looking for internationally excellent candidates in our research themes of Building Energy/Building Environment/Building Safety and Resilience.
The appointees will be required to:
- initiate, lead and participate in scholarly research in his/her area of expertise and be active in research leading to quality journal publications and in bidding for external research grants and applied research projects;
- conduct research in related areas and contribute to the development of the Department’s research strength;
- undertake teaching duties;
- provide leadership in developing a programme, a subject discipline or a research programme, etc.; and
- undertake relevant administrative duties.
- have a doctoral degree in an appropriate related discipline;
- have relevant postdoctoral research experience (as supported by evidence of research projects and outputs), with teaching experience in related disciplines and subjects being a definite advantage;
- have an outstanding publication record in referred journals, and demonstrate good potential in bidding for research grants as well as in establishing significant externally funded research programmes;
- have strong commitment to excellence in teaching and research; be able to demonstrate effective classroom teaching skills and have good interpersonal skills; and have an excellent command of English.
The candidates should demonstrate strong potential to be internationally prominent through a track record of excellent research in the area of Building Energy/Building Environment/Building Safety and Resilience. They should contribute to the development and delivery of higher diploma or degree or postgraduate programme; should demonstrate the ability to teach in engineering design relevant to their technical specialization; and should have been involved in major research projects.
Applicants should be able to conduct research and teach subjects related to Building Energy/Building Environment/Building Safety and Resilience.
Remuneration and Conditions of Service
A highly competitive remuneration package will be offered. Appointment will only be on a fixed-term gratuity-bearing contract. Applicants should state their current and expected salary in the application.
Please send a completed application form to Human Resources Office, 13/F, Li Ka Shing Tower, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hung Hom, Kowloon, Hong Kong or via email to email@example.com. Application forms can be obtained via the above channels or downloaded from http://www.polyu.edu.hk/hro/job/en/guide_forms/forms.php. If a separate curriculum vitae is to be provided, please still complete the application form which will help speed up the recruitment process. Consideration of applications will commence in mid-December 2019 until the positions are filled. The University’s Personal Information Collection Statement for recruitment can be found at http://www.polyu.edu.hk/hro/job/en/guide_forms/pics.php.
PolyU is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusivity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender, ethnicity, nationality, family status or physical or mental disabilities.