Associate Professor within DAM
About the position
Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering (MTP) has a vacancy for an Associate Professor within Advanced Modelling, Mechanical Integrity and Design of Robust Products/Systems.
The Department has 205 employees and consists of seven research groups (See: https://www.ntnu.no/mtp). This position is associated with research group Design, Analysis and Manufacturing. The candidate should interact with the people belonging to the group and other research groups to create value for tor the department in terms of excellence in research and teaching.
The position as associate professor requires university education in mechanical engineering. The candidate should be an academically brilliant candidate, preferably in the very early stage of his/her career showing a high potential in relation to the description below.
The position formally reports to the Head of Department.
Main duties and responsibilities
- The associate professorship will have a central role in teaching and research activities related to various aspects of geometric modelling and advanced structural design, with particular attention to the design of two-dimensional and three-dimensional mechanical devices, products and systems (including those obtained by innovative manufacturing processes such as additive manufacturing). The main role of the candidate will be to teach the courses TMM4130-Product Development and Information Technology and TMM4155, revising the content in agreement with the topics described above. The candidate will also support other courses at the master level, such as TMM4160-Fracture Mechanics, TMR4325 and TMM4195-Fatigue Design.
- In addition to the teaching activity in the abovementioned fields, the select candidate will be responsible for research related to the modelling and design of mechanical components (also obtained by innovative manufacturing processes) in the fields of advanced design based on local approaches.
- The associate professorship is to be jointly responsible for disciplinary matters together with other academic staff in the department.
- The associate professorship is required to participate in teaching activities in accordance with the relevant curriculum and assist in further developing the teaching program, including continuing education.
- The associate professorship needs to supervise master’s students and doctoral candidates in his/her discipline.
- The associate professorship must agree to participate in administrative work.
The position of Associate Professor requires university education at doctoral level in mechanical engineering or equivalent and and demonstrable academic excellence in the relevant subject area.
Emphasis will be placed on publication of research results in recognized international journals within his or her subject area. Particular focus will be placed on academic work during the past five years, excluding statutory leave (depending on the disciplinary tradition).
The successful applicant will be expected to deliver high-quality teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate levels, and undertake supervision of master’s and Doctoral candidates. Evaluation of these skills will be based on documented experience and relevant teaching qualifications. Applicants with teaching experience at university level are preferred. Quality and breadth of the teaching qualifications will be evaluated.
Those who do not have formal qualifications in teaching at university level and who cannot provide documentation of equivalent qualifications must complete an approved pedagogical development programme within two years of appointment.
It is a prerequisite that within three years of appointment, new employees who do not speak a Scandinavian language can demonstrate skills in Norwegian or another Scandinavian language equivalent to level three in the course for Norwegian for speakers of other languages at the Department of Language and Literature at NTNU.
Please see the Regulations concerning appointment and promotion to teaching and research posts for general criteria for the position. NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
It is fundamental that the candidate knows how to design for product durability, e.g., in presence of geometrical discontinuities and geometrical complexity. In addition, it is important that he/she should be able to model and design mechanical devices in presence of multiaxial loading schemes with particular focus on cyclic loadings and complex time histories. Modelling, advanced design and final assessment under complex loadings of assembly of parts and smart devices (obtained by different joining techniques as well as bonding) is also a topic to develop. Computer-aided engineering design, manufacturing and production are also a part of his/her profile.
Candidates for the position need to have comprehensive knowledge of the theoretical aspects of geometric modelling and machine design by means of advanced local approaches, as well as experience from practical applications of such methods including the capability of modelling complex mechanical devices/products by using Catia and Solidworks software. The candidate needs to have deep knowledge in using Abaqus and Ansys at high level and the capacity to use interfaces between these software and Catia/Solidworks for a structural design purpose. The ideal candidate should also have some knowledge in the use of C++, Fortran and Phyton with the final aim of designing complex mechanical devices, products and systems.
- Candidates should be able to develop research activities within the topics of assessment and design in presence of geometrical discontinuities and multiaxial behavior of structural mechanical devices, products and systems under cyclic loadings. Candidates therefore should show a documented experience in the abovementioned research fields and the potential to grow international and national research activities in this direction.
- Candidates with documented experience from practical application of results from advanced numerical modelling within the field of structural integrity, advanced mechanical design and structural assessment will be preferred.
- Candidates with proved knowledge of Norwegian language though language courses will be prioritized.
- Candidates with proved capacity of performing mechanical tests and with experience in management of structural integrity labs will be prioritized.
- The candidate should show a strong potential to apply to FRIPRO-FRINATEK grants application or similar at National level (SFI). ERC grants and/or Horizon 2020 application or similar will be preferred at international level.
- The ability to initiate and lead research and development work will be emphasized.
- High working capacity
- Curious and motivated to develop new knowledge with others
- Ability to involve and engage
- Good skills for collaboration and networking
In the assessment of the best qualified applicant, education, experience and personal suitability will be emphasized, as well as motivation for the position.
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
The gross salary for the position of associate professor code 1011 is normally from NOK 563 700 – 906 000 before tax per year, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2 % is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criterias in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
The person appointed must live in a location enabling him/her to be present at and available to the institution.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English.
The application must include:
- CV, certificates and diplomas
- Academic works - published or unpublished - that you would like to be considered in the assessment (up to 10 works)
- A description of the academic/artistic works that you regard as most relevant and that you particularly want to be taken into account in the assessment
- A list of your works with information on where they have been published
- Name and address of three referees
- Research plan
- Details of teaching qualifications based on "Documentation of applicant’s teaching qualifications in connection with appointment to an academic position at NTNU"
- Details of the projects you have managed, with information about funding, duration and size
Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
When the application deadline has passed, a shortlisting committee will evaluate all applications. The best qualified applicants will then be considered by an external appointments panel and the most suitable applicants will be invited to interview and to deliver a lecture to undergraduate students.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background. NTNU wishes to increase the proportion of women in its academic positions, and women are therefore encouraged to apply.
Under the Freedom of Information Act (offentleglova), information about the applicant may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to have their name entered on the list of applicants.
Questions about the position can be directed to the Head of Department Torgeir Welo, email: email@example.com
Submit your application with your CV, diplomas and certificates via jobbnorge.no. Applicants invited for interview must bring certified copies of certificates and diplomas.
Mark the application with reference number: IV-262/19.
Deadline for applications: 15 November 2019
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering
We educate graduates who can create new products, operate and maintain products, and manage projects. The Department has a variety of bachelor’s and master’s degree programmes. We conduct wide-ranging research in fields such as technology, energy, product quality and development, and productivity. The Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering is one of eight departments in the Faculty of Engineering.
Deadline 15th November 2019
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology