Storage/Unix System Engineer
This is a position for an experienced UNIX / Storage engineer that will be solving complex problems while contributing new ideas and techniques leading to continuous improvement for the team.
- Perform all aspects of UNIX / Linux administration including planning, installation, upgrading, patching, tuning, support, and troubleshooting.
- Leads the efforts to solve UNIX / Linux server related problems on a daily basis.
- Assist in the architecture of systems to provide a highly scalable, highly available server structure which provides web services for customers and for in-house applications.
- In support of the change management within the data center, sets the example in providing the Help Desk with high quality documentation on all enterprise UNIX / Linux systems.
- Work closely with application development teams and systems administration to test, troubleshoot, and optimize new and existing database-driven applications.
- Serves as an example and mentor for the other UNIX system engineers.
- Provides leadership in the management and updating of all enterprise services running on UNIX platforms.
- Verifies UNIX account administration.
- Responsible for verifying the Enterprise backup and SAN administration.
- Coordinates with vendors for support and also will be prime contact for incidents with high impact on services.
- Assists in server specifications, procurement by being the interface with the UNIX server users.
- Supervises deployment of new enterprise servers and services.
- Automation of daily and Bulk operations using shell scripting.
- Maintains accurate and comprehensive documentation diagrams of the enterprise storage and backup infrastructure and communications flow and routing.
- Support for all SAN and backup and recovery systems in the enterprise
- Participating in disaster recovery tests and planning
- Partnering with peers and management to make informed strategic/big-picture decisions
- Performing standard administration responsibilities
- Perform pro-active support functions and reporting to maintain the integrity of the enterprise equipment and infrastructure
- Contributes to the design and support of enterprise SAN and backup systems including but not limited to technical architecture, stability, and platforms.
- Mentor and motivate junior members of technical support teams
- Responsible to adhere with all information security policies and procedures of the University.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science/Engineering or Information Systems
- Must have 2 or more certifications on UNIX and Storage.
- 5+ years of experience in UNIX / Linux server administration, Storage administration.
- A responsible, team oriented, well-organized individual with strong communications skills.
- Ability to handle multiple concurrent projects while adapting quickly to rapidly changing priorities.
- Extended experience in management of Solaris OS and Linux OS with hands-on.
- Server clustering experience, including Oracle RAC and VCS.
- Configuration and deployment experience with Apache and Oracle platform
- Experience in general scripting automation tasks (Perl, bash, PHP, python, etc.).
- Extensive experience with internal infrastructure services.
- Ability to implement efficient provisioning of new servers.
- Storage networking (FC, iSCSI, FICON, Brocade, etc).
- Working knowledge on Enterprise Backup/Recovery/Disaster Recovery using disk arrays, SAN, Tape Libraries. Preferably EMC and Networker Enterprise solution.
- Remote site data protection experience. * Strong problem solving, testing, and network troubleshooting skills.
- Experience with 24x7 mission-critical systems.
- Must be able to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends, holidays and overtime as required, should be available 24/7 on-call in case of major services outage.
- Good communication skills
Division Information Technology Division-CIO
Department Infrastructure&Core Techno. Section
Job Close Date open until filled
Job Category Staff
Salary 7000 to 18000 AED