Title: Sous Chef
Contract: full time, indefinite role.
Salary: £22,417 to £25,941
Closing Date: Sunday 1st December 2019
We want an ambitious person who can support our growing team and business demands, Lancaster University has an exciting opportunity for a Sous Chef.
We are looking for someone who can;-
- Support the kitchen operations for the university
- Lead by example in excellent food production
- Mentor our skilled and ambitious culinary staff
- Support the head chef in their duties, occasionally deputise in their role
- Play an important role in the success of our conferences and events offerings
- Experience as a chef in a fast paced environment
- Qualified to food safety level 2 as a minimum requirement
- Unrelenting focus on quality
- A personal desire to be developed and to learn in your role
- Ability to support the successful operations of the kitchen
- Ability to build relationships and influence with all levels of the business
What’s in it for me?
- Opportunity to develop your own knowledge by working in this energetic team.
- A chance to compete in competitions and attend training through our membership with TUCO.
- Time to visit other universities/food concepts to develop your food knowledge.
- Free uniform
- Attractive salary, pension scheme and generous holidays.
- Excellent benefits including, health cash plan, sports centre membership, car parking, annual bus pass, retail discount card, additional annual leave, childcare vouchers, dental insurance, and much more.
Lancaster is a 30-minute drive to the Lake District and the Yorkshire Dales, and has excellent transport links to London and Manchester. The university is 5 minutes from the M6.
Join this fast growing spectacular, modern campus just south of the vibrant city of Lancaster. Where you can forge a successful future within our Hospitality team.
This is a chance for a chef with ambition to join our team
- We are the highest accredited university in the country with the Soil Association – Food for Life served here.
- We are the first university in the country to have the whole campus Allergy Accredited – Allergy Aware
- We are International University of the Year 2020
- named University of the Year 2018 by The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018 and Top ten in all three UK league tables; we score particularly highly for student satisfaction and employability
Reporting to the head chef, the sous chef plays a vital role in supporting the operations management of the kitchen, and in the production of excellent food. You will also have the opportunity to work with our Development Chef supporting in menu and recipe design.
Lancaster University has a diverse range of UK and International Students and Visitors; as such, we have a wide range of offers across the campus.Ranging from student sports bars, funky cocktail bars, a traditional ale pub, bars with over 100 gins and fast paced casual dining. In addition to this, we cater for conferences and external customers, fine dining dinners and everything in between.
You will have a genuine love for fresh food and be knowledgeable and passionate about ingredients and current food trends and relish the opportunity to be creative and flexible.
This is a full time, indefinite role.
Please note: We reserve the right to close this advert at any time pending suitable applications.
We welcome applications from people in all diversity groups.