English Language Centre Lecturer/Instructor
The University of Kurdistan Hewlêr is a leading University in the Kurdistan Region – Iraq and we are at an exciting stage in our development. The English Language Centre (ELC) is making a significant investment in new academic positions to support its strategic development over the next five years and to help further position the Centre as a key player in teaching English language locally, nationally and internationally.
VACANCIES AVAILABLE: Three
DEPARTMENT: English Language Centre (ELC)
JOB FAMILY: Academic
TYPE OF CONTRACT: FTE 1.0
HOURS OF WORK: 40 Hours/Week (Normally 08:30 AM – 4:30 PM, Sunday – Thursday, although evening hours might be required)
PLACE OF WORK: University of Kurdistan Hewlêr
REPORTING TO: Coordinator (ELC)
APPOINTMENT DURATION: 3 Years (Renewable)
PROBATION: 6 Months
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Application is open until the position is filled
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The ELC Lecturer/Instructor, will:
- Plan, design, develop and deliver modules in close coordination with senior faculty members in areas relating to teaching English language to provide effective teaching strategies and meet the group and individual needs of students.
- Design programme and module assessments as required.
- Assess student performance in modules taught using both formative and summative assessments or evaluations.
- Provide oral and written timely feedback to students and other stakeholders.
- Provide support, counselling and tutorials to students.
- Develop new and revise existing modules.
- Develop reasonable codes of classroom behaviour and ensure they are consistently applied.
- Participate in academic administration, including student recruitment, student support, student induction, marketing, admission, tutor induction and support, tutor observation and feedback, and attendance at course and staff meetings.
- Engage in continuous professional development through participation in pedagogical seminars, workshops, and trainings as required.
- Contribute, where appropriate, to knowledge transfer, income generation and consultancy activities of the University.
- Participate in departmental meetings, activities, and boards.
- Solve routine day-to-day problems as they arise.
- Teach outside of the core university hours (08:30 am to 4:30 pm) and in locations other than the main University Campus when required.
- Prepare, select and use appropriate teaching-learning materials; including the use of textbooks, in-house materials and self-created materials.
- Provide teaching cover in the absence of other colleagues.
- Build strong collaborative links with industries, academics, research centres, and/or government institutions.
- Undertake any other reasonable duties commensurate with the nature of the post and as requested by the line manager.
The position holder should have:
- All candidates in teaching capacity who are fresh PhD holders, are appointed as Lecturers. Candidates from Kurdistan Region and Iraq with no teaching certificate, will be offered a three-month training to obtain such a certificate while other candidates will be required to present a recognized teaching certificate as part of their employment documents.
- Fresh PhD holders must have 2-3 publications in standard journals relating to their degrees.
- Candidates with a Master’s degree or equivalent can be employed as Assistant Lecturers.
Instructors from Kurdistan Region and Iraq would be required to successfully complete a six-month teaching certificate. They are also given a period of five years to publish a minimum of two papers in preparation for promotion to Lecturer. Beyond the five-year period, if unsuccessful, instructors would be taken out of the teaching staff.
Foreign Instructors would be required to present a recognized teaching certificate as part of their employment documents.
- Fluency in English - reading, writing, listening and speaking.
- A recognised teaching certificate at the university level.
- A strong knowledge of subject areas combined with a broad subject background and ability to contribute to teaching relevant modules.
- The ability to teach across programmes, curricula and to deliver specialist options.
- Interpersonal, planning and organisational skills.
- The ability to effect change in a positive way.
- Ability to work under pressure and independently.
- A good team player with the ability to work harmoniously with colleagues and students of all cultures and backgrounds.
- Commitment to high quality teaching and fostering a positive learning environment for students.
- Commitment to continuous professional development, academic research and income generation.
- A consistent record of teaching feedback in the relevant areas of specialisation.
- Ability to deal with sensitive information with discretion and to maintain confidentiality at all times.
HOW TO APPLY
- Interested applicants are requested to email their Application Form, CV, and Personal Statement to email@example.com by indicating the Vacancy Title and inserting the most recent passport size photo in the area provided on the application form.
- Only complete applications: Application Form (with the most recent photo), Personal
- Statement and CV will be considered.
- Size of the photo must be 45mm x 35mm with no less than 150 pixels for the quality.
- Any application that does not specify the vacancy applied for will not be considered.
- An Application Form is available at Current Vacancies on the University website (http://www.ukh.edu.krd).
- Only short listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.