European Molecular Biology Laboratory Australia Group Leader
The School of Medical Sciences (SoMS) is the largest School within UNSW Medicine, and one of the largest at UNSW. The School is based largely within the Wallace Wurth (Medicine) Building on the Kensington campus, but also includes the UNSW Lifestyle Clinic on High Street, Randwick.
Australia is the first Associate Member of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL). EMBL is an international research organisation that fosters excellence by providing a highly collaborative environment that benefits the research of all its scientists, whether at graduate, post-doctoral or group leader level. A key initiative of the associate membership is the EMBL Australia Partner Laboratory Network, a partnership of Australian research institutions which provide long-term funded research-only positions allowing early to mid-career researchers to pursue ambitious research programs. For more information about EMBL Australia visit EMBLAustralia.org.
About the role
- 5-Year Fixed Term, Full time appointment
- Level C: $130, 216 - $149, 394 (+ 17% Superannuation and annual leave loading)
- Join a critical mass of outstanding researchers within a collegial and supportive scientific environment, including mentoring from senior researchers
- State-of-the-art facilities including advanced fluorescence and electron microscopy, protein facilities, nanofabrication, genomics, and high-performance computing
- Sydney, Australia based
The role of EMBL Australia Partner Laboratory Group Leader is an exciting opportunity to establish and develop their own independent research group that complements and extends the capabilities of the EMBL Australia Node in Single Molecule Science at UNSW. The successful applicant will work at the interface of bottom-up single-molecule approaches of biophysics, molecular & structural biology with top-down cell biology and physiology to provide a molecular perspective to major medical and biological questions. We particularly welcome applicants with significant experience and interest in Synthetic Biology, Cell Biology, Biophysics, Data Science, Structural Biology, and Bioengineering.
The dynamic and rich environment at Single Molecule Science is the bedrock for our multidisciplinary and collaborative research teams. Our shared scientific goal is to integrate the perspectives of ‘bottom up’ single-molecule biophysics/molecular & structural biology with ‘top down’ cell biology/physiology to provide molecular insights into fundamental biological and medical problems.
The role of EMBL Australia Partner Laboratory Group Leader reports to the EMBL Australia NSW Node Head and has several direct reports that may include postdoctoral fellows, research assistants and students.
To be successful in this role you will have:
- PhD in cell or molecular biology, immunology, physics, mathematics, engineering, or related discipline
- Proven track record in publishing scientific research papers and demonstrated experience in grant writing and ethics submissions
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, attention to detail and the ability to liaise effectively with all levels of staff, students, management, collaborators and members of the public with relevant data analysis skills
- Proven ability in working effectively as a member of a multidisciplinary team, and in supervising technical staff and students
- Demonstrated experience in relevant industry and/or in establishing/maintaining research partnerships with industry
In your application you are required to include:
- A full Resume (plus 2 professional references)
- A cover letter addressing the selection criteria from the position description
- A research proposal describing your past, current & future research (maximum 5 pages).
Please apply online only - applications will not be accepted if sent directly to the contact listed.
Contact (for role inquiries only):
Dr Romaric Bouveret – Manager of the Single Molecule Science Lab
T: (02) 9385 1741
Applications close: 11 pm, 9th January 2020
Find out more about working at UNSW at https://med.unsw.edu.au/
UNSW is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity