Lecturer/Associate Professor in Applied Linguistics and Tesol
LECTURER/ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR IN APPLIED LINGUISTICS AND TESOL
DEPARTMENT: Department of English
ACADEMIC DISCIPLINE: Linguistics and applied linguistics, language education
POSITION TITLE: LECTURER/ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR IN APPLIED LINGUISTICS AND TESOL
LOCATION: SUZHOU CAMPUS
SALARY: Lecturer 5: 27,115-29,866RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 33,222RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in post), and for
Associate Professor is 33,726-36,377RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 39,867RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in post).
POSITION OPEN DATE: 16 October 2019
ADVERTISEMENT CLOSING DATE: 1 December 2019
JOB ID: 995980
CONTRACT TYPE: Full time
UNIVERSITY AND DEPARTMENT OVERVIEW:
Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a unique collaborative institution and the first joint-venture university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees for all programmes. Formed in 2006, the first cohort of students graduated in August 2010. The University now has almost 15,000 students studying on campus. The language of instruction is English. XJTLU aims to become truly research-led, and has recently committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of PhD student numbers on campus.
XJTLU is located in the Higher Education Town of Suzhou Industrial Park (SIP). Suzhou has been ranked the 74th most liveable city in the 2018 Global Liveability Index. Additionally, it is well-connected via nearby airports to cities such as Hong Kong, Seoul, Tokyo, and Taipei, and via high-speed rail to other major cities in China. SIP is a major growth zone, including operations run by nearly one-fifth of the Fortune 500 top global companies. Greater Suzhou is now the fourth largest concentration of economic activity in China in terms of GDP, and the SIP has a higher GDP per capita than the UK. The broader Suzhou area encompasses the spirit of both old and new in China, with the historic old town’s canals, UNESCO World Heritage Site gardens, and the I.M. Pei-designed Suzhou Museum attracting millions of tourists annually. SIP offers an excellent quality of life with high environmental standards. The nearby Jinji Lake provides attractive views, by day and by night, and there is a variety of shopping facilities, international and local restaurants, entertainment hubs and nightlife. Suzhou is also home to four international schools.
The Department of English is one of the more established academic units at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University, with a faculty of 20 members and a student body of over 400, studying on the BA and MA programmes. The Department is a research-led department that specialises in linguistics, literature, and translation and interpreting, and trains graduates for further postgraduate studies as well as for careers as English-language professionals in the fields of translation, media and communication, finance and international business, and language education. Since its inception in 2008, the Department has established four undergraduate programmes of study with a concentration on applied English studies, English literature as well as translation studies. The Department has a vibrant postgraduate programme of MA Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL), which awards an MA degree of the University of Liverpool. In addition, the Department operates a successful research-based doctoral programme, and the faculty supervise PhD students in their specialist areas.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
Successful candidates will play an important role in the delivery of the MA TESOL programme and applied linguistics modules for BA programmes, and are expected to teach in a range of specialist subjects in TESOL and applied linguistics, such as language testing and assessment, psycholinguistics, ELT methods, second language acquisition, and curriculum and syllabus design. The candidates should have relevant experience in teaching similar programmes at an international educational context where English is the language of instruction.
- Committed to deliver high-quality teaching and research in an international educational context
- Excellent team player in a multi-cultural academic community
- Be able to work independently with clear academic objectives
- Be flexible and willing to adapt to the prioritized goals of the department and institution
- A PhD in applied linguistics, in particular in the areas of second language acquisition, English language education, and discourse analysis.
- Experience in designing and delivering undergraduate and postgraduate modules in these related areas of applied linguistics. Successful applicants are expected to teach UG modules in applied linguistics as well as PG modules of the MA TESOL programme and supervise MA dissertations on a range of topics in ELT and applied linguistics.
- An established research profile and research output in the field of applied linguistics plus a commensurate record of research impact
- Demonstrated capacity in teaching and research-related administration service at the department and university level
- A good record of the supervision of MA or PhD candidates
- Experience in curriculum development or programme management
- A developing or international research profile or record of research funding
Members of Academic Staff are entitled to subsidies for accommodation, travel, and children’s educational, medical insurance, and a one-time relocation allowance is provided. Overseas staff may receive a tax “holiday,” depending on nationality and personal circumstances.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS:
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 55 may be not eligible for PRC work visa.
Please send your application to AcademicPositions@xjtlu.edu.cn. In the subject line write the Positon you are applying for and quote the job ID number for reference.
Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact Details for Three References
Applications should be received by the closing date stated above.
Informal enquiries may be addressed to the Staff Management Team at AcademicPositions@xjtlu.edu.cn. Please quote the position and job ID in your enquiry.