Business Development Manager
Location: Manchester St James's
Closing date: 18/10/2019
Employment type: Permanent
Department: Professional Development
To maintain, grow and increase revenue across some existing but mostly new clients around the UK. The BDM role will be responsible for building strong relationships across all types of industry and sector, helping to develop programme propositions that, as far as possible, reflect the range of specialist courses offered by BPP and the individual requirements of its client base. There is not a requirement to manage people in this role; it will concentrate purely on managing client relationships.
The role sits in the PD business within BPP Professional Education Ltd. It reports into the Managing Director for Professional Development. The role will need to liaise closely with the Programme Managers, Programme Support Managers, the PD operations team, marketing and the wider BPP sales teams. This person will be expected to sell all of PDs products from across the portfolio.
This role focusses mainly on the acquisition of new clients through a combination of picking up in-bound leads and also standard sales and business development techniques. This person will then be expected to maintain a relationship with those clients to ensure they continue to use BPP for further PD or other services that BPP offer. This role will have a primarily B2B (in-house) focus, but where necessary, large clients who book their courses publically may also need support.
- Development of a targeted potential client list to grow sales of PD
- Development of a sales execution plan to sell all PD products to reach an agreed sales target
- To maintain a pipeline of opportunities and pursuits which are actively managed to conclusion. The CRM system, Sales Force, will be used to manage all opportunities
- Assist with the production of reports & management Information as required
- Liaising with presenters to run courses
- Competitor monitoring/analysis and feedback to your line manager and the programme manager for law on programmes that are selling and potential developments needed
- Product knowledge of all PDs courses (assessed and unassessed) – including presenter’s capabilities, competencies and feedback
- A working knowledge of all other products sold within BPP
- Effectively undertake any other duties as required
The candidate will be part of a small professional team focussing on serving the needs of clients in the all professions throughout their career development. This candidate will also have the opportunity to learn more about Sales and Marketing, by and to professionals in a large multi-national company deeply involved in emerging training and educational markets. There will be opportunities to grow and develop as a professional into a more senior BDM role either within PD or in other areas of the business. This position could also potentially lead to product based roles.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
Candidates should possess good inter-personal and people skills and have a good telephone manner. They need to be commercially minded and the role will require meeting key clients face to face and possibly presenting in public; therefore excellent communication and stakeholder management skills are essential.
The role is likely to require some UK travel.
- Experience in business development roles will be preferred.
- Experience in working in the Accountancy, Financial Services, the Legal field or Tech solutions will be preferred.
- Experience with spreadsheets and recording leads via CRM systems is preferred.
- An understanding of financial information is extremely useful.
- Familiarity with social networks and marketing generally would be highly desirable.
- Experience of Access / Excel / Word & Outlook / CRM systems
- Continuously improves professional and technical skills/knowledge
- Demonstrates awareness of & identifies goals for self-fulfilment / development, quality improvement
- Good time management
- Ability to maintain appropriate professional relationships within the PD division and externally – networking within the business will be expected
- Willingness to promote management decisions & contribute to identified tasks
- Suggests & promotes appropriate initiatives/ideas which may directly or indirectly benefit BPP