Associate Professor / Lecturer - Visual Effects
ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR/LECTURER VISUAL EFFECTS
DEPARTMENT: School of Film and Television Arts
ACADEMIC DISCIPLINE: Moving Image: Visual Effects / Production / Post Production
POSITION TITLE: Associate Professor / Lecturer
LOCATION: (SUZHOU CAMPUS)
SALARY: The salary range for the Lecturer positions (equivalent to Assistant Professor in the US system) is as follows:
Lecturer 5: 27,115-29,866RMB (with the opportunity to go to 33,222RMB based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in post)
Associate Professor: 33,726-36,377RMB (with the opportunity to go to 39,867RMB based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in post)
POSITION OPEN DATE: 14th October 2019
ADVERTISEMENT CLOSING DATE: 15th November 2019
CONTRACT TYPE: 3 Year
UNIVERSITY AND DEPARTMENT OVERVIEW
Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a unique collaborative institution and the first joint-venture university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees for all programmes. Formed in 2006, the first cohort of students graduated in August 2010. The University now has over 10,000 students studying on campus. The language of instruction is English. XJTLU aims to become truly research-led, and has recently committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of PhD student numbers on campus.
XJTLU is located in the Higher Education Town of Suzhou Industrial Park (SIP), well connected via nearby airports to cities such as Hong Kong, Seoul, Tokyo, and Taipei, and via high-speed rail to other major cities in China. SIP is a major growth zone, including operations run by nearly one-fifth of the Fortune 500 top global companies. Greater Suzhou is now the fourth largest concentration of economic activity in China in terms of GDP, and the SIP has a higher GDP per capita than the UK. The broader Suzhou area encompasses the spirit of both old and new in China, with the historic old town’s canals, UNESCO World Heritage Site gardens, and the I.M Pei-designed Suzhou Museum attracting millions of tourists annually. SIP offers an excellent quality of life with high environmental standards. The nearby Jinji Lake provides attractive views, by day and by night, and there is a variety of shopping facilities, international and local restaurants, entertainment hubs and nightlife. Suzhou is also home to four international schools.
Brief summary of the department:
The School of Film and Television Arts was built on the departmental strengths in communication and culture. With the addition of a film school and training in practical filmmaking and the creative arts, the School is developing a mix of practice, research, creativity and industry engagement with the film, television and creative industry sectors in China and internationally. The School currently offers programmes in Digital Media Arts, TV Production and Filmmaking at UG level. Future plans include the establishment of postgraduate and PhD programmes as well.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Coordinate and deliver modules across a range of digital media arts, television production, and filmmaking subject areas
- Prepare content and lesson plans for module delivery
- Curriculum development
- Manage the Visual Effects output of projects within the School, both within the curriculum and in extra-curricular activity approved by the School
- Supervise and/or advise on creative projects
- Contribute to the further development of the Department’s programmes
PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES: The successful applicant will have industry experience directly related to Visual Effects. He/ she will be able to demonstrate practical knowledge and understanding within a Visual Effects pipeline. They will also be expected to teach fundamental modules on Visual Effects, Compositing, including delivering classes in keying, Paint & Roto, Tracking, compositing and matte painting. In terms of advanced specialities, the person will be expected to have developed extended practices in VFX related areas.
The candidate is expected to have either one of the following qualifications:
- PhD or MFA, in the relevant subject disciplines
- Relevant Master degree with substantial experience in the VFX Industry
- Relevant Master degree with substantial teaching experience within a University, college or Film / VFX school environment
- Proficient working knowledge of Adobe creative suite, Nuke, and Autodesk Maya
- The ability to teach compositing processes for Moving Image Students
- Knowledge of Houdini and PFTrack would be of huge benefit or a willingness to undertake training on such software.
- Knowledge of an animation and modelling in Autodesk Maya
- Highly developed organisational skills: The ability to anticipate events, identify desirable outcomes and achieve goals within a specified timeframe.
- High level of verbal and written communication skills
- The ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues and work cooperatively in the School.
- Experience or willingness in developing practice-based research
- Exhibition/show planning and execution.
Members of Academic Staff are entitled to subsidies for accommodation, travel, and children’s educational, medical insurance, and a one-time relocation allowance is provided. Overseas staff may receive a tax “holiday,” depending on nationality and personal circumstances.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS:
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 55 may be not eligible for PRC work visa.
Please send your application to AcademicPositions@xjtlu.edu.cn. In the subject line write the Positon you are applying for and quote the job ID number for reference.
Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact Details for Three References
Applications should be received by the closing date stated above.
Informal enquiries may be addressed to the Staff Management Team at AcademicPositions@xjtlu.edu.cn. Please quote the position and job ID in your enquiry.