Assistant Manager, Member Services
University Job Title: Assistant Manager 2
Bargaining Unit: None - Not included in the union (Yale Union Group)
Time Type: Full time
Duration Type: Regular
Compensation Grade: Administration & Operations
Compensation Grade Profile: Supervisor; Senior Associate (23)
Work Location: Central Campus
Worksite Address: 55 Lock Street New Haven, CT 06511
Work Week: Standard (M-F equal number of hours per day)
Searchable Job Family: Administration, University Health
Total # of hours to be worked: 37.5
Work Days/Hours: (Other than Standard)
Schedule/Shift: Full-time, 37.5 hours, general weekdays, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Occasional evenings, weekends/recess or holidays may also be required.
In 1971, Yale University began a unique and historic experiment providing health services to its facility, staff and students through a multidisciplinary health maintenance organization located on campus. Now, 47 years later, Yale Health has more than 37,000 members including students, staff, faculty and their families who come from every state in the country and almost every country in the world.
Our state-of-the-art facility at 55 Lock Street, built in 2010, is where our members receive most of their care. It is a 144,000 square foot medical facility with over 90 exam rooms, a 24/7 Acute Care Department, a 17-bed inpatient facility with two negative pressure rooms, a diagnostic imaging suite including MR and CT scan, x-ray and ultrasound and a full-service retail pharmacy. It houses our 150+ providers, including 111 primary and consulting physicians.
Under the direction of the Member Services Manager, the Assistant Manager is responsible for overseeing the daily operations of the Member Services Department. Provides coaching and direct support to staff in order to realize superior customer service goals. Serves as a role model in demonstrating professional, outstanding customer service to Yale Health members.
In addition, the Assistant Manager:
- Directs the work of Member Services support staff by delivering hands-on outstanding/seamless customer service side-by-side with the team.
- Oversees the allocation of work, makes operational decisions, facilitates handling of services issues and concerns, conducts staff meetings/education sessions, communicates expectations and changes to policies, procedures and benefits.
- Engages and inspires the team through coaching and development, and monitoring performance.
- Acts as the main point of contact for operational questions and requests from leadership and others within Yale Health and throughout the University.
- Acts as the main point of contact in absence of Department Manager for questions and requests from leadership and others within Yale Health and throughout the University for non-operational, strategic and/or University supported initiatives, and determines an appropriate response.
- Develops excellent working relationships with the team and fosters open communication with Yale Health staff, at all levels, and collaborates with University departments as well as outside vendors.
- Monitors patient satisfaction and suggestions. Determines appropriate escalation for complaints in order to determine the best course of action for service recovery. Works closely with the Patient Representative and Liaison to interpret and define patient issues to improve service to Yale Health patients.
- Oversees and supports the Member Services team on a variety of department-specific and/or organization-wide work tasks, coverage rotations, outreach events and service initiatives, and incoming student events including tours, etc.
- Monitors status/benefit system changes with the Member Services Team and educates staff as appropriate.
- Monitors call volume and statistics and shares with the team, engaging them in ways to consistently achieve and/or improve department performance.
- Leads project support for IT driven system initiatives and operational processes.
- Participates in the annual budget planning and Quality Improvement presentations for Member Services.
- Maintains a broad knowledge of state/federal regulations and commercial insurance practice.
- Serves on committees as appropriate, and is responsible for performing other duties as required based on the needs of the department.
- Manages, reviews, and determines staffing needs, job posting requirements, salary guidelines, and labor agreement interpretations for unit.
- Reviews the administrative support needs for staff and provides recommendations, improvements, solutions and support as needed
- Assesses technology needs, conducts inventory, and system requirements for the unit.
- Develops and prepares budgets, financial forecasts, and financial analyses and the actual vs. budgeted performance reports for the unit.
- Manages administrative support for activities of unit to ensure timely completion of projects.
- Develops, and plans the use of facilities for the assigned unit including office space, work stations, equipment, and office supplies.
- Develops training materials and plans training sessions for assigned unit to educate staff on new or changed policies or practices.
- Ensures compliance with University and federal regulations as they apply to the work of the unit.
- Identifies, plans, and develops administrative policies for the unit.
- Implements and enforces University and departmental policies as they pertain to the administrative functions of the assigned unit.
- Assesses and makes recommendations regarding staff development and staffing levels.
- Directly manages a staff of non exempt employees.
- May directly manage a staff of exempt employees.
- . May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Minimum requirement of Bachelor’s Degree in related field and two years of experience or an equivalent combination of education and related experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Superior inter-personal, mediation, listening and investigatory skills. Advanced ability to identify and research issues in order to provide effective and consistent service recovery. Superior customer service orientation with the ability to manage confidential and sensitive issues.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, databases and desktop publishing applications. Knowledge of and experience with membership databases, reporting and service issue tracking.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Demonstrated ability to take initiative, anticipate appropriate response and execute plans in a challenging customer service setting. Ability to plan and anticipate staffing needs during peak periods and to provide support as needed, flexing seamlessly between overseeing the day’s activities to executing an essential front-line support role.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Demonstrated supervisory skills and/or leadership ability with a high level of initiative and accountability. Ability to collaborate effectively with staff at all levels in order to provide optimal service recovery. Ability to effectively influence upward.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to present to large groups. Excellent attendance, punctuality and reliability.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Three years’ experience in a member services or similar healthcare environment or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Knowledge of IDX and/or Epic.
Weekend Hours Required? Occasional
Evening Hours Required? Occasional
Drug Screen: No
Health Screening: No
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: email@example.com.
Note: Yale University is a tobacco-free campus