Associate/Assistant Professor, Quantity Surveyor
Location 62200 Putrajaya, MY
Organization Name Heriot-Watt Univerisity Malaysia
About Heriot-Watt University
Heriot-Watt University has five campuses: three in the UK (Edinburgh, Scottish Borders and Orkney), one in Dubai and one in Malaysia. The University offers a highly distinctive range of degree programmes in the specialist areas of science, engineering, design, business and languages.
With a history dating back to 1821, Heriot-Watt University has established a reputation for world-class teaching and practical, leading-edge research, which has made it one of the top UK universities for business and industry. We connect with industry at every level and develop programmes to match their needs – so employers get work-ready industry-fit graduates.
Heriot-Watt is also Scotland's most international university, boasting the largest international student cohort.
We have an established set of values that help us to nurture innovation and leadership, and show our commitment to continuous improvement and development in all our activities.
For full details on our University please view our Careers at Heriot-Watt http://www.hw.ac.uk/about/careers-at-heriot-watt.htm
About our Team
Heriot-Watt University Malaysia (HWUM) is a UK university campus based in Putrajaya, Malaysia. HWUM is the second international campus of Heriot-Watt University ("HWU") which is a leading research-intensive UK university, specialising in science, technology, engineering, business, languages, textiles and design. With an international reputation for scientific and technological excellence, the University is truly global in scope and scale with a campus in Dubai, three campuses in Scotland and over 150 partners world-wide.
HWUM is operating from a stunning, purpose-built, eco-friendly, lakeside campus that currently has more than 2,000 students. Besides the academic offerings that range from Foundation to Undergraduate and Postgraduate programmes in Business, Engineering, Construction, Actuarial Science and more, the university is a pioneer in Impact-Based and Positive Education aiming at developing Purpose-driven, resilient and world-ready graduates.
With highly motivated community, state-of-the-art learning resources and world-class learning and teaching facilities, the Putrajaya campus is a dynamic and stimulating place to study, grow and flourish. Students studying at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia undertake a well-structured developmental programme that takes them in four stages to develop the skills of knowing and leading self, leading teams, leading communities and leading enterprise. This inculcates emotional intelligence, interpersonal and analytical skills sought after by employers. Learning outcomes and standards are identical across all campuses which enables students to seamlessly transfer between campuses.
Heriot-Watt University Malaysia is seeking to recruit enthusiastic academics with experience in Construction Management or Quantity Surveying with passion in teaching and research. Successful candidates will be expected to build research over time. Successful candidates will also be expected to develop strong links to colleagues at the Scottish campuses to deliver high quality learning and teaching, to contribute to the continued development of the programmes offered to students, and to develop research in association with the Academic Schools in the UK.
Postholders will be expected to have a broad knowledge of a range of topics within the sphere of their chosen discipline, and an interest in research activities.
The role will be based at the University's campus in Putrajaya, the administrative capital of Malaysia. Programmes will be delivered in English and so fluency in English is essential. An induction programme will be delivered to all new academic staff - on Heriot-Watt's standards and values, and to give practical experience on preparation, delivery and assessment of teaching.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Undertake teaching and assessment duties on academic programmes, in particular the areas of Quantity Surveying and Construction Project Management. Support colleagues in other Schools at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia in the delivery of courses and other activities to support the delivery of HWUM's aims.
- Develop relevant materials in appropriate formats for the above programmes. Contribute to the content, design and delivery of the curriculum, and the quality of teaching and learning, in consultation with colleagues and within the international structures and mechanisms established by the University. Review teaching design and delivery by obtaining and analysing feedback from students and peers. Support the accreditation processes of the MQA and other professional bodies.
- Mentor and supervise students, including PhD students, providing effective, well documented and timely feedback, both formative and summative. Provide pastoral support, recognising when to refer a student for further support. Play a key role in the delivery and support of an excellent student learning and living experience at HWUM.
- Develop the level of subject expertise in line with latest development in research, and ensure these developments are reflected in teaching materials and methods.
- Build and conduct research in one or more of the School's research areas at internationally competitive levels.
- Develop and maintain strong links with business and industry, external organisations and the education sector.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues in Malaysia, at other campuses, and with external networks both for the exchange of information, to share learning, and to form relationships for future collaboration.
- Undertake a proactive role in promoting and marketing the University, ensuring the effective recruitment of students and the achievement of recruitment targets. Play a full role in Open Days and other student recruitment events.
- Undertake leadership administrative tasks associated with programme planning, preparation for examination boards and progression boards, etc, as instructed. Participate in relevant committees. Associate Professors will be expected to undertake additional leadership and management responsibilities.
- Undertake continuous professional development (CPD) and participate in staff development activities.
Please note that this job description is not exhaustive, and the role holder may be required to undertake other relevant duties commensurate with the grading of the post and its general responsibilities. Activities may be subject to amendment over time as the role develops and/or priorities and requirements evolve.
Education, qualifications and experience
This section details the attributes e.g. skills, knowledge/qualifications and competencies which are required in order to undertake the full remit of the role.
Education & Qualifications
- Master degree in quantity surveying, construction management or equivalent in relevant disciplines.
- Registered Professional Quantity Surveyor, or Registered Consultant Quantity Surveyor with the Board of Quantity Surveyors Malaysia (BQSM)
- PhD or equivalent in appropriate discipline. Full/Corporate member of RICS or other relevant professional bodies.
Means of Assessment
- Possess sufficient breadth or depth of specialist knowledge in quantity surveying, and/or construction project management to be able to work within established teaching and research programmes
- Teaching experience at postgraduate level
- Research supervision experience
- Successful completion of funded research and/or funded knowledge exchange
Means of Assessment
- Application form and interview
Competencies, Skills & Knowledge
- Capable of contributing to the management, development and enhancement of learning and teaching activities
- Capable of supervising projects and dissertations
- Ability to apply knowledge acquired from research into teaching
Means of Assessment
- Application form and interview
Other Attributes/Abilities (if applicable)
- Clear communicator with good presentation skills, capable of explaining concepts effectively in English
- Capable of carrying out research in construction project management, quantity surveying or estate management and helping to establish a research presence and portfolio in Malaysia
Essential Criteria - these are attributes without which a candidate would not be able to undertake the full remit of the role. Applicants who do not clearly demonstrate in their application that they possess the essential requirements will normally be eliminated at the short listing stage.
Desirable Criteria - these are attributes which would be useful for the candidate to hold. When shortlisting, these criteria will be considered when more than one applicant meets the essential criteria.
How To Apply
Applications should be submitted to iRecruit system.
Applications must be submitted by 9 September 2019. If you are not contacted by the selection committee by 16 September 2019 then please assume that on this occasion your application has been unsuccessful.
The University is committed to equality of opportunity.